Fourth Order Homogenous Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a fourth order differential equation with initial conditions and obtaining a general solution using the characteristic equation and initial conditions to solve for constants. The solution includes four roots, one of which is repeated, and the general equation is a linear combination of four basic functions.
shards5

Homework Statement

y4 - 6y3 + 9y2
y(0) = 19; y'(0) = 16; y"(0) = 9; y"'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Factored out the equation and obtained the following roots.
r2(r2-3) = 0 which gives r = 0 and r =3.
Using those roots, I make the following general solution.
y(x) = j*e3x + k*x*e3x + L*k*x2*e3x
I am assuming since one of the roots is zero then the solution will not have to have add i*e0t. I am also assuming since this is a fourth order equation that I will need to solve for n=4 variables and that this is the form in which I should tackle it. Am I mistaken in my assumptions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your differential equation? y(4) - 6y(3) + 9y(2) = 0?

Your characteristic equation has four roots, with 0 and 3 repeated. Your basic set of solutions is {1, x, e3x, xe3x}. Your general solution will be all linear combinations of these functions, or
y(x) = c1*1 + c2*x + c3*e3x + c4*xe3x. Use your initial conditions to solve for the constants ci.

Yea it was equal to zero and thanks for the general equation. It solved a lot of the confusion I had on what to do with the r = 0.

What is a fourth order homogenous differential equation?

A fourth order homogenous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the fourth order. It is considered homogenous because the equation is equal to zero and does not include any constant terms.

What is the purpose of solving a fourth order homogenous differential equation?

The purpose of solving a fourth order homogenous differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the given equation. This can be useful in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to model and predict the behavior of systems.

How is a fourth order homogenous differential equation solved?

A fourth order homogenous differential equation can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

What are the initial conditions for a fourth order homogenous differential equation?

The initial conditions for a fourth order homogenous differential equation are the values of the function and its first four derivatives at a specific point. These conditions are necessary to find the particular solution of the equation.

What are some real-world applications of fourth order homogenous differential equations?

Fourth order homogenous differential equations are used to model and analyze various physical systems, such as oscillating springs and pendulums, as well as electrical circuits and mechanical systems. They are also used in the study of heat conduction and fluid mechanics.