Exploring the Refractive Properties of an Oil Slick

In summary, the conversation discusses the reflection and transmission of light through an oil slick floating on water. The scientist measures a wavelength of 750 nm in air and assumes the oil to have a thickness of 200 nm and an index of refraction of 1.5. A diver swimming underneath the oil slick is trying to find the longest wavelength of light transmitted through the water. By using the equations 2t = (m + .5)(lambda of air / n of film) and (lambda of air)(n of air) = (lambda of water)(n of water), the correct answer of 451 nm is found. Additionally, the problem can also be approached by finding the wavelength with the minimum reflection, which will give the
IKonquer
A scientist notices that an oil slick floating on water when viewed from above has many different rainbow colors reflecting off the surface. She aims a spectrometer at a particular spot and measures the wavelength to be 750 nm (in air). The index of refraction of water is 1.33

Now assume that the oil had a thickness of 200 nm and an index of refraction of 1.5. A diver swimming underneath the oil slick is looking at the same spot as the scientist with the spectrometer. What is the longest wavelength of the light in water that is transmitted most easily to the diver?

air n = 1
---------------
oil n = 1.5
---------------
water n = 1.33
---------------

t = 200 nm, there is 1 phase change in this problem and we want constructive interference

2t = (m + .5)(lambda of oil / n of oil)

When I solve for lambda of oil I get 1200 nm.

Then I use (lambda of oil)(n of oil) = (lambda of water)(n of water)

When I solved for the wavelength in water I got 1353 nm. The correct answer is 451 nm, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I now see I made the following mistake:

2t = (m + .5)(lambda of air / n of film) and let m = 0

(lambda of air)(n of air) = (lambda of water)(n of water)

After solving for lambda of water, I am still getting the wrong answer.

One of the hints given is the following: "This problem can also be approached by finding the wavelength with the minimum reflection. Conservation of energy ensures that maximum transmission and minimum reflection occur at the same time (i.e., if the energy did not reflect, then it must have been transmitted to conserve energy), so finding the wavelength of minimum reflection must give the same answer as finding the wavelength of maximum transmission. In some cases, working the problem one way may be substantially easier, so you should keep both approaches in mind."

Does anyone have any input?

1. What is an oil slick?

An oil slick is a thin layer of oil that has spread over the surface of a body of water, such as a lake or ocean. It is usually the result of an oil spill or leakage from a ship or oil platform.

2. How does an oil slick affect the environment?

An oil slick can have a negative impact on the environment by harming wildlife, polluting the water, and damaging ecosystems. It can also affect human activities such as fishing and tourism.

3. What are the refractive properties of an oil slick?

The refractive properties of an oil slick refer to how the oil affects the way light passes through it. Oil has a different refractive index than water, causing light to bend and create colorful patterns on the surface of the oil slick.

4. Why is it important to explore the refractive properties of an oil slick?

Studying the refractive properties of an oil slick can help us better understand how oil behaves in the environment and develop more effective methods for cleaning up and mitigating the effects of oil spills. It can also provide insight into the chemical composition and thickness of the oil slick.

5. How is the refractive index of an oil slick measured?

The refractive index of an oil slick can be measured using a refractometer, which measures the angle at which light bends when passing through the oil. This information can then be used to calculate the refractive index and determine the properties of the oil slick.