Constructive interferance homework (concept) help

In summary, the problem involves a 360-nm thick oil film with indices of refraction of 1.5 and 1.33 for the oil and water, respectively. The film is illuminated with white light at normal incidence and the goal is to find the shortest and longest wavelengths of light in the 400nm to 800nm range that are strongly reflected. Using the equation 2t = (m+0.5)lambda, where t is the thickness of the oil film and m is an integer, we can find the wavelengths that result in constructive reflection. However, it is important to note that wavelengths have different lengths in different materials, so the equation should also include the index of refraction of the material. Once
Rae__
Problem:
Consider a 360-nm thick oil film floating on the surface of the water. The indices of refraction of the oil and water are 1.5 and 1.33. The surface of the oil is illuminated from above at normal incidence with white light. (A) Find the shortest wavelength of light in the 400nm to 800 nm wavelength band that is strongly reflected.
(B) Find the longest wavelength of light in the 400nm to 800 nm wavelength band that is strongly reflected.

Relevant equations:

2t = (m+0.5)lambda (m=0,1,2...) This eq is for constructive reflection when one of the waves is phase shifted (the reflection from the air-->oil interface should have a phase shift, but that is all.)

I am slightly confused on equations. In online forums it might say "nt=(m+0.5)lambda" but my textbook gives that equation.

My work so far:
I arranged the equation I have seen online to be lambda()=(tn)/(m+0.5)
Then I plugged in m=0,1,2...
I got from 0 to 2: 1080nm, 360nm, 216.
*when you use the equation with the n, you get the right answers

I am overall confused. I don't get the right answer, the longest wavelength of light should be 720. I would appreciate any help in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My error was forgetting that wavelengths have DIFFERENT LENGTHS IN DIFFERENT MATERIALS AND I DIDNT EVEN FACTOR THAT INTO the equation, so I was missing lambda (in material) = lambda/n.

What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude combine to form a larger amplitude wave. This results in a reinforcement of the wave and an increase in its energy.

How does constructive interference differ from destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine to form a larger amplitude wave, whereas destructive interference occurs when they cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in amplitude.

What is the purpose of studying constructive interference?

Studying constructive interference helps us understand and predict how waves interact with each other. This is important in fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology, and is also crucial for the development of technologies such as noise-cancelling headphones and radar systems.

What are some real-life examples of constructive interference?

One example of constructive interference is the formation of standing waves in musical instruments, where the waves reflect off the walls of the instrument and combine to create a louder and more resonant sound. Another example is the formation of rainbows, where sunlight is refracted and reflected by water droplets in the air to create a more intense and colorful spectrum.

How can I calculate the resulting amplitude of constructive interference?

To calculate the resulting amplitude of constructive interference, you can use the formula A = A1 + A2, where A is the resulting amplitude, A1 and A2 are the amplitudes of the two interfering waves. Keep in mind that the waves must have the same frequency and be in phase (i.e. their peaks and troughs align) for constructive interference to occur.