Fermi Vector in Ferromagnetic Material

In summary, we are asked to derive the Fermi wave vector, the parameter r, and the average kinetic energy per electron for a completely ferromagnetic electron gas of density n_{0} in three dimensions. The attempt at a solution involves solving for k, r, and E, but the effect of all spins pointing in the same direction is not accounted for. Further clarification and advice is needed for parts b and c.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

Consider an electron gas of density [itex]n_{0}[/itex] in three dimensions that is completely ferromagnetic: all electron spins point in the same direction. Derive:
a) The Fermi wave vector in terms of [itex]n_{0}[/itex].
b) The parameter r as the radius in atomic unites that encloses one unit of charge.
c) The average kinetic energy per electron.

2. The attempt at a solution
a) My attempt is to simply solve as follows
[tex]n_{0}=\frac{k^{3}}{3\pi^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]k=(3 \pi^{2} n_{0})^{1/3}[/tex]
however I don't think this accounts for the fact that all spins point in the same direction. How do I account for this? Not being certain on this point of course follows through to parts b and c.

b) I'm tempted to simply solve for r
[tex]1 = \frac{4 \pi n_{0}}{3} (a_{0} r)^{3}[/tex]
[tex]r = \frac{6^{1/3}}{2 a_{0} (n \pi)^{1/3}}[/tex]

c) Same general tack but not sure how to account for the spins;
[tex]E = \int EdEN(E) = \frac{\mu}{5 \pi^{2}} (\frac{2 m \mu}{\hbar^{2}})^{3/2}= \frac{3}{5} n_{0} \mu c[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
^{2}where c is the speed of light. I think I'm missing something in parts b and c, but not sure what. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

What is a Fermi Vector in Ferromagnetic Material?

A Fermi Vector in Ferromagnetic Material is a vector quantity that represents the momentum of a particle in a ferromagnetic material. It is closely related to the Fermi Surface, which is a surface in momentum space that separates filled and unfilled energy states of particles.

How is the Fermi Vector related to the spin of particles in ferromagnetic materials?

The Fermi Vector is related to the spin of particles in ferromagnetic materials through the spin-orbit interaction. This interaction causes the spin of particles to align in a particular direction, leading to the formation of the magnetic domains that give ferromagnetic materials their unique properties.

What is the role of the Fermi Vector in the Curie temperature of ferromagnetic materials?

The Fermi Vector plays a crucial role in determining the Curie temperature of ferromagnetic materials. It is related to the exchange energy, which is the energy associated with the interaction between neighboring particles in a ferromagnetic material. As the temperature increases, the Fermi Vector changes, and this affects the exchange energy, ultimately leading to the material's transition from a ferromagnetic to a paramagnetic state at the Curie temperature.

How does the Fermi Vector affect the magnetic properties of ferromagnetic materials?

The Fermi Vector is a fundamental quantity that influences the magnetic properties of ferromagnetic materials. It determines the magnetic moment of particles, the strength of the magnetic domains, and the overall magnetic behavior of the material. In essence, the Fermi Vector plays a crucial role in the magnetization and hysteresis of ferromagnetic materials.

Can the Fermi Vector be manipulated to control the magnetic properties of ferromagnetic materials?

Yes, the Fermi Vector can be manipulated through various methods such as applying external magnetic fields, changing the temperature, or introducing impurities in the material. These manipulations can alter the spin orientation of particles and, therefore, change the Fermi Vector, ultimately affecting the material's magnetic properties. This phenomenon is the basis for technologies like magnetic data storage and spintronics.