Proving that \sqrt{p} is irrational

by Mandelbroth
Tags: irrational, proving, sqrtp
Share this thread:
Mandelbroth
Nov27-13, 10:05 PM
P: 615
I'm aware of the standard proof.

What I'm wondering is why we can't just do the following. Given, I haven't slept well and I'm currently out of caffeine, so this one might be trivial for you guys.

Suppose, by way of contradiction, that ##\sqrt{p}=\frac{m}{n}##, for ##m,n\in\mathbb{Z}## coprime. Then, ##p=\frac{m^2}{n^2}##. Because ##p## is an integer, ##\frac{m^2}{n^2}## must be as well. However, because ##m## and ##n## are coprime, so are ##m^2## and ##n^2##. Thus, ##n^2=1## is necessary for ##\frac{m^2}{n^2}## to be an integer. But that means ##m^2=p##, and ##p## is prime. Thus, a contradiction is met and we see that ##\sqrt{p}## is irrational.

Is this valid? I'll probably figure out my mistake (if I made one) by the time I get back with adequate caffeination, but until then, I'd like to make sure I figure it out.

Thank you.

Edit: Gee, I guess it might be important to mention that ##p## is prime. :facepalm:
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
R136a1
Nov27-13, 10:32 PM
Newcomer
P: 341
In my opinion, it's valid.
jbunniii
Nov27-13, 11:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,288
It looks OK to me.

Curious3141
Nov27-13, 11:55 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,953
Proving that \sqrt{p} is irrational

Completely valid. The last step basically assumes that a prime cannot be a perfect square, which is true and fairly obvious. But if you really want to make the proof completely obvious, you can state: ##m^2 = p##. Hence ##m|p## (m divides p), which is a contradiction.
PeroK
Nov28-13, 02:47 AM
P: 438
Quote Quote by Mandelbroth View Post
Edit: Gee, I guess it might be important to mention that ##p## is prime. :facepalm:
Actually, it doesn't matter that p is prime. It's valid for any +ve integer: the square root is either an integer or irrational; it cannot be a proper rational.
Mandelbroth
Nov28-13, 09:33 AM
P: 615
Thank you, all.

Register to reply