Schwartz - Christoffel transformation: point at infinity confusion

In summary, the derivative of the general Schwartz-Christoffel map is given by f'(z) = λ(z - x_1)^{a_1}...(z-x_n)^{a_n}. This can be simplified by taking x_n to be the "point at infinity", which removes the last factor from the expression. This is helpful because it reduces the number of pre-images that need to be dealt with, making it easier to find a formula that maps to a desired polygon. The difference between taking x_n to infinity and having n-1 points is that it simplifies the process and allows for easier manipulation of the formula. This can be seen in the last few lines of the 3rd page of the paper linked
D_Tr
We know that the derivative of the general Schwartz - Christoffel map (function) is:
[tex]f'(z) = λ(z - x_1)^{a_1}...(z-x_n)^{a_n}[/tex]
Question: In various sources around the web, it is mentioned that [itex]x_n[/itex] can be taken to be the "point at infinity", and the last factor can be removed from the above derivative expression. Why is this helpful? What is the difference between taking a [itex]x_n[/itex] to infinity and just having n-1 points? And why can the last factor be removed in the first place if a term inside it becomes infinitely large??

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Thank you for your interest :) I think I have figured out the answer. I am a bit surprised that I haven't got any kind of feedback after so many views. Is it unclear? Does it make any sense at all? I had two questions:

1) How can moving [itex]x_n[/itex] to infinity make the last factor vanish?
The answer to this is found in the last few lines of the 3rd page of the paper found here: http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~shaww/web_page/books/complex/Chapter21Excerpt.pdf.

2) Why do we do this?
My confusion was probably due to the fact that when dealing with this transformation you usually have a given closed polygon to which you want to map the upper half complex plane and you search for the correct formula to achieve this. I initially thought the usual problem was: "I have this Schwartz-Christoffel transformation formula, how does it distort the upper half complex plane?"
Each factor in the Schwartz-Christoffel formula corresponds to a vertex. If you want to get a n-sided polygon and you search for a formula with n factors, you need to force each of the n factors to map to one of the vertices of your desired polygon and additionally you need to force the point at infinity map to a point on your polygon, for example to a point between two vertices. If, now you take [itex]x_n[/itex] to be the point at infinity, you have one less pre-image to deal with because the factor containing [itex]x_n[/itex] is gone (see link above) and you now need to deal with n-1 finite pre-images and the point at infinity. So it's just a matter of convenience.

What is the Schwartz-Christoffel transformation?

The Schwartz-Christoffel transformation is a mathematical mapping that transforms a polygon onto the upper half-plane in a conformal manner.

What is the significance of the point at infinity in the Schwartz-Christoffel transformation?

The point at infinity is an essential part of the transformation, as it allows for the mapping of infinitely long sides of polygons onto finite sides in the upper half-plane.

Why is there confusion surrounding the point at infinity in the Schwartz-Christoffel transformation?

The confusion arises because the point at infinity is not a physical point, but rather a mathematical concept. It is often difficult for people to understand and visualize this concept.

How does the point at infinity affect the mapping of polygons in the Schwartz-Christoffel transformation?

The point at infinity allows for the transformation of infinitely long sides of polygons onto finite sides in the upper half-plane, making the mapping possible.

What are some practical applications of the Schwartz-Christoffel transformation?

The Schwartz-Christoffel transformation has various applications in physics, engineering, and geometry, particularly in the study of fluid flow, electrostatics, and elasticity. It is also used in the design of computer graphics and in the analysis of complex systems.