Order of zero of modular form from its expansion at infinity

In summary: In this case, since the order of vanishing at infinity is 1 and the order of the pole at infinity is 0, the order of the zero at infinity is 1. This means that a meromorphic modular form of weight k never has a zero at infinity, as the first non-zero coefficient in its q-expansion will always be a pole.
binbagsss
1. Homework Statement order of zero of a modular form ?

2. Homework Equations 3. The Attempt at a Solution

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I'm pretty confused.
So, a modular form ##f(t) \in M_k ## is usually given by it's expansion about ##\infty## expressed in the variable ##q=e^{2\pi i t} ## as:

## \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n q^n ##

where ##n## must start at zero here for ##f(t)## to be holomorphic at ##\infty## and therefore a modular form,

if instead we have:

## \sum\limits_{n=-N}^{\infty} a_n q^n ##, then the function is 'meromophic at ##\infty## ' with the order of the pole at ##\infty## being ##N##.

We use the notation ##S_k## if the constant coeffient vanishes, that is instead we have (for a modular form so holomorhphic, i.e. cusp form):

## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n q^n ##**MY QUESTION:**
how from a modular form function expressed as the Fourier expansion above, can we deduce the order of a zero? The last negative coeffient gives the order of a pole, and since we set ##i\infty \to 0 ## do we not conclude that every cusp form has a zero of order infinity at infinity?

EXAMPLE 2

My notes say the following:

on the subject of ##f## a mermorphic modular form of weight ##k##:

##ord_{\infty} (f) ## = index of first non-zero coeffient in the q-expansion of ## f= ord_{q=0}(\hat{f}) ##

where ## \hat{f}(q)=f(t) ## and where the order of a point has been defined as:

##ord_p(f) = ## order of vanishing of ##f## at ##P## minus the order of the pole of ##f## at ##P##.

So, the first non-zero coefficient of the expansion, i know, gives the order of the pole, and the negative sign has also been taken into account by the wordings of my notes to take 'the index' , so this is implying that a meromorphic modular form of weight ##k## never has any zeros 'at infinity'. should this be obvious?

i don't understand.
many thanks.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help.The order of a zero of a modular form is determined by the first non-zero coefficient in its q-expansion. For example, if the q-expansion of a modular form is given as:$$f(q)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nq^n $$then the order of the zero at infinity is 1. The general formula for determining the order of a zero at a given point is:$$ord_p(f) = \text{order of vanishing of }f \text{ at }P - \text{order of the pole of }f \text{ at }P.$$

What is the order of zero of a modular form from its expansion at infinity?

The order of zero of a modular form from its expansion at infinity is the highest power of q in the expansion at infinity. It represents the rate at which the modular form approaches 0 as q approaches infinity.

How is the order of zero of a modular form calculated from its expansion at infinity?

The order of zero can be calculated by looking at the coefficient of the highest power of q in the expansion at infinity. This coefficient is also known as the leading coefficient.

What is the significance of the order of zero in modular forms?

The order of zero is an important property of modular forms as it helps determine their behavior and properties, such as their growth rate and the existence of poles and zeros.

Can the order of zero of a modular form be negative?

No, the order of zero of a modular form cannot be negative. This is because modular forms are holomorphic functions, and thus cannot have poles or zeros of negative order.

How does the order of zero of a modular form affect its transformation properties?

The order of zero of a modular form plays a crucial role in determining its transformation properties under modular transformations. It affects the weight and level of the modular form, and can also determine whether the modular form is a cusp form or a non-cusp form.