Vector V1 and V2 Components: Solving for x and y | Help with Vector Problem

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: Then use Pythagoras to find the magnitude.In summary, vector V1 is 8.94 units long and points along the -x axis, while vector V2 is 4.13 units long and points at +35.0° to the +x axis. To find the x and y components of each vector, use trigonometric formulas. For V1, V1x = -8.94 and V1y = 0. For V2, V2x = 4.99 or 5.00 and V2y = -2.76. Be careful of signs when adding components of vectors.
confusedaboutphysics
Vector V1 is 8.94 units long and points along the -x axis. Vector V2 is 4.13 units long and points at +35.0° to the +x axis.
(a) What are the x and y components of each vector?
so i got V1x=-8.94 and V1y=0 which is right

but i don't know how to get the V2x and V2y
i got V2x=4.99 or 5.00 and V2y=-2.76 but i got it wrong.

I solved for V by using V= V1 + V2 so i got V=-8.94 + 4.13 = -4.81. i got V2x by using Vx=Vcos(angle) so Vx=-4.81cos(35) = -3.94. Then i did -3.94=-8.94 + V2x and solved for V2x which i got 4.999 or 5.00. I got V2y by using Vy=Vsin(angle) so Vy=-4.81sin(35) = -2.76. Then i used Vy=V1y + V2y which is -2.76 = 0 + V2y and solved for V2y and got -2.76.

Am i doing this right? if I'm not how do i solve for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your explanation is a bit difficult to read, but I think I know you're problem. You said V = -8.94 + 4.13. This wouldn't work since vector addition is not the same as regular addition. You have to find the COMPONENTS, add those up, then using trigonometry, find the final vector.

Here's how you would do it. Because for V2 the angle is 35 degrees and pointing along the +x axis, to find the y component, just multiply the length of the vector by sin(35), and then to find the x component, multiply the length of the vector by cos(35) and you have both answers for V2.

To find the final vector, add the x-components (that is, V1(x) + V2(x)), then add the y components (V1(y) + V2(y)). Then use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the magnitude of the vector and trigonometric formulae to find the angle.

Caution: Be sure that your signs are correct, as V1(x) is pointing in the opposite direction of V2(x).

Last edited:
confusedaboutphysics said:
Vector V1 is 8.94 units long and points along the -x axis. Vector V2 is 4.13 units long and points at +35.0° to the +x axis.
(a) What are the x and y components of each vector?
so i got V1x=-8.94 and V1y=0 which is right

but i don't know how to get the V2x and V2y
i got V2x=4.99 or 5.00 and V2y=-2.76 but i got it wrong.

I solved for V by using V= V1 + V2 so i got V=-8.94 + 4.13 = -4.81. i got V2x by using Vx=Vcos(angle) so Vx=-4.81cos(35) = -3.94. Then i did -3.94=-8.94 + V2x and solved for V2x which i got 4.999 or 5.00. I got V2y by using Vy=Vsin(angle) so Vy=-4.81sin(35) = -2.76. Then i used Vy=V1y + V2y which is -2.76 = 0 + V2y and solved for V2y and got -2.76.

Am i doing this right? if I'm not how do i solve for them?
Are you solving the right problem? From what you said, you just need the x and y components of each vector. You don't have to add them at all. In other words, if you want the x component of V2, then multiply the magnitude of V2 (4.13) by the cos(35) and multiply v2 by the sin(35) to get the y component.

And phreak is right about you using the wrong method to add vectors together if what you really want are the x and y components of the sum of V1 and V2. You still have to find the x and y components for each vector before you can add them together. Then add the x components together to get the x of you new vector and add the y components together to get the y of your new vector.

What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a physics problem that involves the manipulation and analysis of vectors in order to solve for a certain quantity or solve a given scenario.

How do you solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you must first define and understand all the given vectors and their magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition, subtraction, and other operations to manipulate the vectors and solve for the unknown quantity. It is important to use proper vector notation and pay attention to the direction of the vectors.

What are some common types of vector problems?

Some common types of vector problems include finding the resultant vector, finding the components of a vector, and analyzing forces or motion in multiple dimensions using vectors.

What are some tips for solving vector problems?

Some tips for solving vector problems are to draw accurate vector diagrams, use vector addition and subtraction to break down complex situations, and use trigonometry to find the components of a vector. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with vector notation and operations.