Is doctorate the highest level at a university?

• Thread starter EngTechno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: I said before...on undergraduate education.In summary, some universities in the United States offer only up to Master's degrees while others offer the highest level - Doctorate level. This is often due to the institution's focus on education or research. In some fields, the Master's degree may be considered a terminal degree, such as the Master of Fine Arts or Master of Business Administration. Additionally, some universities may have restrictions on the degrees they can offer based on their charter. Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is considered to have a strong undergraduate engineering program due to its focus on education. However, it does not offer a Master's degree in physics.
EngTechno
In the United States, some universities offer the highest level -Doctorate level and some offers only up to Master's degrees. What is the difference between these universities? For what intention ? May I know the details about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doctorate is not the highest level by the way. Some schools only offer Master degrees because they just don't have the staff/money/interest/whatever... to support anything 'higher'.

e(ho0n3 said:
Doctorate is not the highest level by the way. Some schools only offer Master degrees because they just don't have the staff/money/interest/whatever... to support anything 'higher'.

Then what is the "highest level"??

In some fields the doctorate is not the highest level. For example, the "Master of Fine Arts" is considered a "terminal" degree in the fine arts (painting, sculpture, etc.) and the "Master of Business Administration" might be considered a terminal degree in businees but your response sounds like there is a degree higher than doctorate: I'm wondering what it is.

HallsofIvy said:
In some fields the doctorate is not the highest level. For example, the "Master of Fine Arts" is considered a "terminal" degree in the fine arts (painting, sculpture, etc.) and the "Master of Business Administration" might be considered a terminal degree in businees but your response sounds like there is a degree higher than doctorate: I'm wondering what it is.
True.

Then what is the "highest level"??
In Germany there is something called the "Habilitation" which translates to something like: post-doctoral lecture qualification. If you know some maths. history, you'll remember that a lot of famous german mathematicians did there "Habilitation", which was usually harder than getting a doctorate since you had to do what is known as a "Habilitationsschrift" which is basically the book you have to write after getting your doctorate. This is usually done by Doctors who want to become full professors.

The post-doc...is a hybrid between education and work. You can get a post-doc at a non-educational institution - like a National Lab.

RE: " post-doctoral lecture qualification. "

Gee, I did a post-doc. I never realized that entitled me to an even HIGHER degree. :)

RE: "In the United States, some universities offer the highest level -Doctorate level and some offers only up to Master's degrees. What is the difference between these universities? For what intention ? May I know the details about that?"

Some universities cannot give out doctorates because their charter signified them as primarily educational, not research, institutions. The California State University system is one example (although they sometimes give out doctorates in the weaker subjects).

To answer your question, we need to know what you are seeking.

JohnDubYa said:
RE: " post-doctoral lecture qualification. "

Gee, I did a post-doc. I never realized that entitled me to an even HIGHER degree. :)

RE: "In the United States, some universities offer the highest level -Doctorate level and some offers only up to Master's degrees. What is the difference between these universities? For what intention ? May I know the details about that?"

Some universities cannot give out doctorates because their charter signified them as primarily educational, not research, institutions. The California State University system is one example (although they sometimes give out doctorates in the weaker subjects).

To answer your question, we need to know what you are seeking.
Let's start my opinion, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is one of the Cal State campuses in California. It only offers Master degree that is the highest level for this campus. What is the difference between Engineering Program offered by it and that of UC system?

Cal Poly probably has the stronger engineering program at the undergraduate level (I used to teach there), primarily because it is focused more on education than research. (Although it tends to fall into the research-research-research trap just like all the other universities.)

Given its locale and reputation, I would certainly pick it over any UC, unless there are considerations that you have left out of the discussion.

Have you visited San Luis Obispo? I know the area like the back of my hand. Great weather, lots of parties, and zero crime. Great place to live and have a good time. If you are planning on visiting, shoot me a private message and I will fill you in.

The UC campuses are meant for graduate students and faculty. I can't think of a single one that I would want to attend as an undergraduate, but that's just me. Maybe others disagree.

JohnDubYa said:
Cal Poly probably has the stronger engineering program at the undergraduate level (I used to teach there), primarily because it is focused more on education than research. (Although it tends to fall into the research-research-research trap just like all the other universities.)

Given its locale and reputation, I would certainly pick it over any UC, unless there are considerations that you have left out of the discussion.

Have you visited San Luis Obispo? I know the area like the back of my hand. Great weather, lots of parties, and zero crime. Great place to live and have a good time. If you are planning on visiting, shoot me a private message and I will fill you in.

The UC campuses are meant for graduate students and faculty. I can't think of a single one that I would want to attend as an undergraduate, but that's just me. Maybe others disagree.
Cal Poly,SLO is said to be comparable to Cal Tech and MIT in the U.S. I don't think so. But it is the best one in Cal State campuses .

As an UNDERGRADUATE, I would rather attend Cal Poly than Cal Tech or MIT if I was later going to enter grad school.

JohnDubYa said:
As an UNDERGRADUATE, I would rather attend Cal Poly than Cal Tech or MIT if I was later going to enter grad school.
How is the Master Degree offered by Cal Poly? What do you think of the quality of Master Degree program of Cal Poly?

Cal Poly has no Masters degree in physics. All focus is on undegraduate instruction.

JohnDubYa said:
Cal Poly has no Masters degree in physics. All focus is on undegraduate instruction.
How about Aerospace Engineering Program of Cal Poly?

Desipite being the best CSU you can attend, it still isn't at the UC level (on second thought, maybe up there with riverside). Maybe I'm partial because I go to UCSB, but I had the chance to attend Cal Poly since I was accepted in, but wasn't really blown away by anything in particular about their physics department. IMHO of course.

I am not that familiar with the aerospace engineering program.

Desipite being the best CSU you can attend, it still isn't at the UC level (on second thought, maybe up there with riverside).

In what regard? I would think the quality of the instruction is every bit as good as at the UC system, if not loads better.

What is the average class size at a typical UC campus? In physics at Cal Poly we had a cap limit of 35, even in the introductory courses.

Were any of your labs taught by graduate assistants? All labs at Poly are taught by full-fledged members of the faculty, all of which have Ph.D.s.

I actually applied to Cal Poly and got rejected then I got into UCDavis. I would agree that Cal Poly has probably the better undergraduate engineering programs than most UC's if not all. The physics classes here at Davis are around 120 students each and yes the labs are taught by grad students.

The physics classes here at Davis are around 120 students each and yes the labs are taught by grad students.

And why do you suppose they pack 120 students into an introductory course? Here's a hint: It isn't because it improves the quality of instruction.

1. What is a doctorate degree?

A doctorate degree, also known as a doctoral degree, is the highest level of academic degree that can be obtained from a university. It is typically earned after completing several years of advanced study and research in a specific field of study.

2. Is a doctorate degree the same as a PhD?

Yes, a doctorate degree is the same as a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy). However, there are other types of doctorate degrees such as Doctor of Education (EdD) or Doctor of Science (ScD).

3. How long does it take to earn a doctorate degree?

The length of time it takes to earn a doctorate degree varies depending on the program and the individual's pace of study. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-7 years to complete a doctorate degree.

4. What is the difference between a doctorate and a master's degree?

A master's degree is a graduate level degree that is obtained after completing a bachelor's degree. A doctorate degree is a higher level degree that is typically earned after completing a master's degree. Doctorate programs also require more advanced coursework and research.

5. Are there other levels of degrees beyond a doctorate?

Yes, there are other levels of degrees beyond a doctorate, such as post-doctoral degrees and honorary doctorates. However, a doctorate degree is considered the highest level of academic achievement at a university.