Is Our Everyday Thinking Flawed? Discover the Science Behind Our Daily Mistakes

• Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psychology
Hi Everyone

As part of the Masters in Philosophy program I am doing, I am also taking some free courses offered by other universities. I found one I initially thought was about critical thinking. I was wrong. It's about the psychology of the mistakes we make every day and why we make them. I checked with other mentors, and since it is about experimental results, it is OK to post here if people want to take it. It's free.

https://www.edx.org/learn/thinking/the-university-of-queensland-the-science-of-everyday-thinking

As an aside, it is from the university up the road, the University Of Queensland, and you get a glimpse of their beautiful campus near where I grew up.

I found it fascinating.

Thanks
Bill

• Skeptical
Likes sbrothy, Greg Bernhardt and Bystander
Biology news on Phys.org
Suspiciously I was told there was exactly one sign-up opening...

But I may just be paranoid.

sbrothy said:
Suspiciously I was told there was exactly one sign-up opening...

But I may just be paranoid.

I can't check because I have done the course. It gives me - course completed.

I tried another course, also starting today, Introduction to Data Analytics, and it gave me no problem.

Thanks
Bill

As I said: I may be too paranoid. I admit I didn't dig deep enough to offer a real serious opinion, so I will give you and the course the benefit of the doubt. Also I'll congratulate you if you feel you gained something.

Likes bhobba

1. What are the common flaws in everyday thinking?

Common flaws in everyday thinking include cognitive biases such as confirmation bias, where people favor information that confirms their preexisting beliefs, and the Dunning-Kruger effect, where individuals with lower ability at a task overestimate their ability. Other flaws include heuristics, which are mental shortcuts that can lead to systematic deviations from logic or optimal decision making.

2. How do these flaws affect our daily decisions?

These flaws can significantly impact our daily decisions by causing us to make choices that are not based on rational analysis. For example, cognitive biases can lead us to make poor financial decisions, choose less healthy options, or judge situations and people inaccurately. This can affect personal relationships, professional outcomes, and overall life satisfaction.

3. Can we overcome these thinking flaws?

Yes, it is possible to mitigate the effects of flawed thinking by becoming aware of these biases and actively questioning our assumptions and decisions. Techniques such as critical thinking, seeking out diverse perspectives, and using decision-making frameworks can help reduce the impact of these flaws. Additionally, mindfulness and reflection practices can enhance our ability to recognize when we are falling into these cognitive traps.

4. Are there any tools or techniques to help identify when we're thinking irrationally?

Several tools and techniques can assist in identifying irrational thinking. These include the use of checklists to ensure all aspects of a decision are considered, keeping a decision journal to reflect on decision-making processes, and practicing mindfulness to be more aware of our thoughts and feelings. Engaging in debates or discussions can also expose and challenge irrational thoughts.

5. Why is it important to understand and address flaws in our thinking?

Understanding and addressing flaws in our thinking is crucial for making better decisions that can lead to improved personal and professional outcomes. It enhances our problem-solving skills, reduces conflict, and promotes a more balanced and informed worldview. Ultimately, it contributes to better mental health, more effective communication, and increased success in various aspects of life.