Verifying Green's Theorem for F(x,y)

In summary, the conversation is about the verification of Greens theorem for a given vector field over a specified path. The Green theorem states that the line integral of a vector field over a closed path is equal to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the enclosed region. The speaker has successfully calculated both the line and double integrals, but has made a mistake with the sign in the double integral. They suspect it may be due to the orientation of the path and ask for help in understanding how to determine the integral limits. Another person points out the mistake and the conversation ends.
Telemachus
Hi. I have a problem with this exercise. I wanted to verify the greens theorem for the vector field [tex]F(x,y)=(3x+2y,x-y)[/tex] over the path [tex]\lambda[0,2\pi]\rightarrow{\mathbb{R}^2},\lambda(t)=(\cos t, \sin t)[/tex]

The Green theorem says: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{C^+}Pdx+Qdy=\displaystyle\int_{}\int_{D}\left (\frac{{\partial Q}}{{\partial x}}-\frac{{\partial P}}{{\partial y}}\right ) dxdy[/tex]
and I have: [tex]P(x,y)=x-y,Q(x,y)=3x+2y[/tex]

So then I've made the line integral:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left [-(3\cos t +2 \sin t)\sin t+ (cos t -\sin t)\cos t\right ]dt=-\pi[/tex]
Creo que esto esta bien, la integral la resolví con la computadora para no tener problemas :p

And then the double integral:
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-1}^{1}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{1-x^2}}(1-2y)dydx=\pi[/tex]

The problem is clearly with the sign. The mistake I think I've committed was putting on the reverse the integral limits for the double integral. I think that x should go from 1 to -1, but the thing is I don't know why. So I'm not pretty sure on how to determine the integral limits on this cases. I've tried to think about the parametrization, but I don't know what to do so. Its clear to me that the parametrization plays an important role in the sign of the integral. But I don't know how to reason this, so I wanted some help and suggestions. I'm not pretty sure if green theorem only reefers to positive oriented paths, if it isn't its clear to me that the parametrization, which determines the orientation of the path plays a determinant role over the limits of integration, because inverting the limits I get the opposite sign for the integral, right?

Bye there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did something wrong: P=3x+2y, Q=x-y.
With that, if you do the calculus the answer is right.

Thanks, I've found the mistake :D

1. How do you define Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of that vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. What is the significance of verifying Green's Theorem for F(x,y)?

Verifying Green's Theorem for F(x,y) allows us to check the validity of the theorem and ensure that it holds true for a specific vector field. It also helps to understand the relationship between line integrals and double integrals.

3. What are the necessary conditions for Green's Theorem to hold?

Green's Theorem holds if the vector field is continuous and has continuous partial derivatives on a closed and simply connected region in the plane.

4. How do you verify Green's Theorem for a given vector field?

To verify Green's Theorem for a given vector field, we need to calculate the line integral of the vector field over a closed curve and the double integral of its curl over the region enclosed by the curve. If both values are equal, then Green's Theorem holds for that vector field.

5. Can Green's Theorem be applied to three-dimensional vector fields?

No, Green's Theorem is only applicable to two-dimensional vector fields. For three-dimensional vector fields, we use a similar theorem called Stokes' Theorem.