Derivative of a function to a function

In summary, the derivative of sin(x)^ln(x) with respect to x can be found by using the general formula for d/dx (f(x)^g(x)), which involves a ln(sin(x)) and the power rule. The key is to express the function as exp(k(x)*Log(h(x))).
joex444
I'm a tutor in physics, but was asked this question: What is the derivative of sin(x)^ln(x), with respect to x?

I'm not sure how you would go about taking the derivative of a function raised to a function.

Is there a general for for d/dx ( f(x)^g(x) )?

I understand the answer involves a ln(sin(x)), according to Maple, and would love to see how you end up with g(f(x)).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not the LN in your formula. It's a generic LN.

If g(x) = h(x)^k(x) then g'(x) = g(x) [k(x)h'(x)/h(x) + Log(h(x))k'(x)].

Thanks, that's really neat. Usually we assume k(x) to be a constant, n, so obviously k'(x) would be 0 and the second term drops, leaving us with the power rule.

joex444 said:
I'm a tutor in physics, but was asked this question: What is the derivative of sin(x)^ln(x), with respect to x?

I'm not sure how you would go about taking the derivative of a function raised to a function.

Is there a general for for d/dx ( f(x)^g(x) )?

I understand the answer involves a ln(sin(x)), according to Maple, and would love to see how you end up with g(f(x)).

It must be obvious by now but just in case someone would wonder where the formula provided by Enumaelish comes from, the trick is to not differentiate g(x) itself but to differentiate [itex] \ln(g(x)) [/itex] and then to isolate g'(x).

The trick is to express h(x)^k(x) as exp(k(x)*Log(h(x)). Everything follows from that.

1. What is the derivative of a function to a function?

The derivative of a function to a function is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one function with respect to another. It is denoted as f'(g(x)) and is also known as the composite derivative.

2. How is the derivative of a function to a function calculated?

The derivative of a function to a function is calculated using the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the derivative of a function to a function?

Calculating the derivative of a function to a function allows us to analyze the relationship between two functions and understand how a small change in one function affects the other. This is useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can the derivative of a function to a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function to a function can be negative. This indicates that as the input of the inner function increases, the output of the outer function decreases. It is important to note that the sign of the derivative depends on the relationship between the two functions and cannot be generalized.

5. Is the derivative of a function to a function the same as the derivative of the inverse function?

No, the derivative of a function to a function and the derivative of the inverse function are not the same. The derivative of the inverse function is calculated using the inverse function theorem, while the derivative of a function to a function is calculated using the chain rule. These two derivatives may have different values.