Linear first-order differential equation with an initial condition

In summary, pasmith and vela were able to help me calculate the derivative of the equation, but I still have problems with the second term.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
Show that the solution of a linear differential equation with boundary condition ##f(0)=f_0## has the following form ##f(x)=f_0 exp\biggl( \int_{0}^{x}ds ~g(s) \biggr)+\int_{0}^{x}ds ~h(s)exp\biggl( \int_{s}^{x}dr ~g(r)\biggr)##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

unfortunately I have problems with the task d and e, the complete task is as follows:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-28 um 14.05.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-28 um 14.06.04.png

I tried to form the derivative of the equation ##f(x)##, but unfortunately I have problems with the second part, which is why I only got the following.

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}=f_0 g(x) \ exp\biggl( \int_{0}^{x}ds \ g(s) \biggr)+?$$

I then tried another approach and first wanted to get rid of the integrals in the exp terms

$$f_0 exp\biggl( G(x)-G(0) \biggr)+\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) exp \biggl( G(x)-G(s) \biggr) f(x)dx$$
$$f_0 e^{G(x)-G(0)}+e^{G(x)}\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) e^{-G(s)}$$

Unfortunately, I now have problems again with the derivative for the second term using this method.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an expression of the form [tex]
\int_a^x f(x,t)\,dt[/tex] for which you can show from the limit definition that, for sufficiently smooth [itex]f[/itex], [tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(x,t)\,dt = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac 1h \left( \int_a^{x+h} f(x+h, t)\,dt - \int_a^x f(x,t)\,dt\right) =
f(x,x) + \int_a^x \left.\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right|_{(x,t)}\,dt.[/tex]

Likes Lambda96
Thanks pasmith for your help 👍 , I tried to implement your tip but am not sure about the ##f(x,x)## term:

I have now calculated the following

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\biggl( f_0 \ exp\Bigl( \int_{0}^{x}ds \ g(s) \Bigr) +\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) \ exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr) \biggr)$$

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}= f_0 \ exp\Bigl( \int_{0}^{x}ds \ g(s) \Bigr) g(x) + h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)+\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) \frac{d}{dx} \ exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)$$

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}= f_0 \ exp\Bigl( \int_{0}^{x}ds \ g(s) \Bigr) g(x) + h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)+\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)g(x)$$

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}= f_0 \ exp\Bigl( \int_{0}^{x}ds \ g(s) \Bigr) g(x) + h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)+\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)g(x)$$

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}= f_0 \ exp\Bigl( \int_{0}^{x}ds \ g(s) \Bigr) g(x) +\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)g(x)+ h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)$$

$$\frac{d f(x)}{dx}=f(x)g(x)+ h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)$$

Now I'm just having trouble with the term ##h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)##, which is equivalent to ##f(x,x)##. I was just having trouble figuring out what the exp term should be. After all, the easiest way would be for the integral to go from x to x, which would make the exponent zero and thus ##e^{0}=1## and I would get ##f(x)g(x)+h(x)##

Lambda96 said:
Now I'm just having trouble with the term ##h(x)exp\Bigl( \int_{s}^{x}dr \ g(r) \Bigr)##, which is equivalent to ##f(x,x)##. I was just having trouble figuring out what the exp term should be. After all, the easiest way would be for the integral to go from x to x, which would make the exponent zero and thus ##e^{0}=1## and I would get ##f(x)g(x)+h(x)##

Yes. The integrand is a function of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]s[/itex], so it is evaluated at [itex](x,s) = (x,x)[/itex].

Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
I then tried another approach and first wanted to get rid of the integrals in the exp terms

$$f_0 \exp\biggl( G(x)-G(0) \biggr)+\int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) \exp \biggl( G(x)-G(s) \biggr) \,dx$$
$$f_0 e^{G(x)-G(0)} + e^{G(x)} \int_{0}^{x}ds \ h(s) e^{-G(s)}$$

Unfortunately, I now have problems again with the derivative for the second term using this method.
The second term is of the form ##e^{G(x)} [J(x)-J(0)]## where ##J'(x) = h(x) \exp[-G(x)]##. Just apply the product rule.

Likes Lambda96
Thanks pasmith and vela for your help 👍👍

1. What is a linear first-order differential equation?

A linear first-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It can be written in the form of dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x and y is the dependent variable.

2. What is an initial condition in a linear first-order differential equation?

An initial condition is a value given for the dependent variable at a specific value of the independent variable. It is used to find the particular solution to the differential equation.

3. How do you solve a linear first-order differential equation with an initial condition?

To solve a linear first-order differential equation with an initial condition, you can use the method of separation of variables or the method of integrating factors. Once you have the general solution, you can use the initial condition to find the particular solution.

4. What is the importance of initial conditions in solving differential equations?

Initial conditions are important because they help determine the particular solution to a differential equation. Without an initial condition, the general solution would have an arbitrary constant, making it impossible to find the specific solution.

5. Can a linear first-order differential equation have multiple initial conditions?

No, a linear first-order differential equation can only have one initial condition. This is because the initial condition is used to find the particular solution, and having multiple initial conditions would result in multiple solutions, making it impossible to find a unique solution.