Confusion regarding resolution of forces

In summary, the perpendicular component of the vertical force is mg cosθ and the parallel component is mg sinθ.
Quantum Mind

Homework Statement

A force which is at an angle θ to the horizontal (not being 90°) has two components Fx = FCosθ and Fy = Fsinθ along the x and y direction. However, when working out problems regarding objects on an incline, the horizontal (parallel to the slope) component of Normal force is taken as mgSinθ and the vertical (perpendicular to the slope) component is taken as mgCosθ. Can somebody explain ? I know this sounds silly, but I am confused.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it something to do with the CCW convention?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to draw your problem. In the first case, you have a force that makes an angle with the horizontal direction.

In the second case, you have the normal force, that is perpendicular to the slope. The slope makes an angle theta with the horizontal. What angle does the normal force enclose with the horizontal?

ehild

The slope makes an angle θ to the horizontal and the perpendicular to the slope makes an angle 180 - (90 + θ). So if the inclination of the slope is 30°, then the perpendicular makes an angle 60° to the horizontal surface. So whatever angle it makes with the horizontal, the angle made by the perpendicular with the horizontal is 90-θ. Therefore the perpendicular component is mgSinθ. Is my reasoning correct?

Well, the normal force is normal to the slope, so its perpendicular component is itself, and the parallel component is zero. Do you meant gravity, mg? It is vertical and has components parallel and perpendicular with respect to the slope. See attachment: what are the x and y components of the vertical force F?

ehild

Attachments

• slope1.JPG
    slope1.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
The force F is resolved into x and y components (I did mean gravity). But I still don't get it. I know that sinθ = cos(θ-90). But θ is the angle of the slope and how does this angle come into the picture when resolving for F? I have looked around but I am not able to find an answer. Probably because this is so basic.

Yes, it is so basic. The blue angle is theta. What is the green one in the yellow triangle?

ehild

Attachments

• slope2.JPG
    slope2.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 400
90 - θ ? I don't think that this angle can be equal to θ.

Quantum Mind said:
90 - θ ? I don't think that this angle can be equal to θ.

Yes, it is 90 - θ ! So what are the components (parallel with the slope and perpendicular to the slope) of the vertical force mg?

ehild

Then the perpendicular component should be mg cosθ and the parallel component is mg sinθ? I get it now. Thanks for your patience ehild.

You mean that component of the vertical force, which is perpendicular to the slope. Is it right? Look at the yellow triangle. The vertical component is the side opposite to the green angle. So it is Fsin(green angle) but the green angle is 90-θ. sin(90-θ)=cos(θ).

ehild

1. What is the concept of resolution of forces?

The resolution of forces is a method used in physics and engineering to break down a single force into its component parts. It involves breaking a force vector into two or more vectors that act in different directions.

2. How is the resolution of forces useful?

The resolution of forces is useful in determining the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object. This can be helpful in analyzing the motion of objects or designing structures to withstand certain forces.

3. What are the steps for resolving forces?

The steps for resolving forces are as follows: 1) Draw a diagram of the forces acting on the object. 2) Identify the angle and magnitude of the force to be resolved. 3) Use trigonometric functions to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the force. 4) Add the components together to find the net force acting on the object.

4. Can forces be resolved in any direction?

Yes, forces can be resolved in any direction as long as the appropriate trigonometric functions are used. The horizontal and vertical components can be found for any angle.

5. How does the resolution of forces relate to the equilibrium of an object?

The resolution of forces is essential in determining the equilibrium of an object. If the net force acting on an object is zero, then the object is in equilibrium. By resolving forces, we can determine if the forces acting on an object are balanced or unbalanced, and therefore, if the object is in equilibrium.