Genetic Probability (Binomial Expansion)

In summary: Then, multiply these probabilities together to get the overall probability of getting 2 boys and 2 girls with one of the boys being albino. In summary, the problem is asking for the probability of getting 2 boys and 2 girls, with one of the boys being albino. Using binomial expansion, the equation is (p^4)+4(p^3)(q)+6(p^2)(q^2)+4(q)(p^3)+(q^4), with p and q representing the probability of getting a boy or girl at 50% each. To factor in the albino probability, one can calculate the probability of the two girls not having albinism and the probability of one of the boys having al
fanofdean

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on a problem with two variables in it. The question wants to know what's the probability of getting 2 boys and 2 girls, with one of the boys being albino. They say one parent is albino and the other is a heterozygous carrier, so the change of getting it is 50% in the children.
So by binomial expansion, it's 1 4 6 4 1. I know the two girls and two boys is the middle term with 6(p^2)(q^2) but with q and p being getting a boy or girl at .50 each. But how do I encompass the albino probability in this? Multiply each child by .50?

Homework Equations

(p^4)+4(p^3)(q)+6(p^2)(q^2)+4(q)(p^3)+(q^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily find the probability of getting two girls and two boys, I would simply use the 6(p^2)(q^2) with p and q being .50 respectively. I just don't know how to factor in the albino part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like that. You should multiply with another binomial probability regarding the 4 children with "albino chromosome".

AGNuke said:
Something like that. You should multiply with another binomial probability regarding the 4 children with "albino chromosome".

It might be easier to calculate the probability that the two girls lack albinism and the probability that one of the boys has albinism.

1. What is genetic probability?

Genetic probability is the likelihood of a specific genetic outcome occurring in a population. It takes into account various factors such as gene frequency, inheritance patterns, and environmental influences.

2. How is genetic probability calculated?

Genetic probability is calculated using mathematical formulas and statistical methods, such as the binomial expansion. This involves determining the probability of each possible outcome and combining them to find the overall probability.

3. What is the binomial expansion in genetic probability?

The binomial expansion is a mathematical concept used to calculate the probability of multiple independent events occurring. In genetics, it is often used to predict the probability of offspring inheriting a particular combination of genes from their parents.

4. What factors can influence genetic probability?

There are several factors that can influence genetic probability, including gene frequency, inheritance patterns, genetic mutations, and environmental factors. These factors can affect the likelihood of certain traits being passed on to offspring.

5. How is genetic probability used in scientific research?

Genetic probability is used in various areas of scientific research, such as genetics, evolution, and medicine. It can help researchers understand the likelihood of certain traits or diseases occurring in a population and can aid in predicting and preventing genetic disorders.