The expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen.

In summary, when finding the expectation value of the radial part of the hydrogen wavefunction, the extra factor of r squared comes from integrating in spherical coordinates using the volume element dV=r^2sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi. The factor of 4pi that is usually present in spherical integration disappears due to normalization by the spherical harmonics. This may have been missed on a recent test, but the integral over the entire spherical shell should still equal 1.
mjordan2nd
The wavefunction of hydrogen is given by

[tex]

\psi_{nlm}(r, \theta, \phi) = R_{nl}(r)Y_{lm}(\theta, \phi)
[/tex]

If I am only given the radial part, and asked to find the expectation value of the radial part I integrate the square of the wavefunction multiplied by r cubed allowing r to range from 0 to infinity. I don't understand where the extra factor of r squared comes from? I suspect it has something to do with multiplying by a volume element, but it is unclear to me why the factor of 4 pi that would normally come with spherical integration that depends on r alone disappears. I missed this on a test, recently, and was hoping someone could explain.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're integrating in spherical coordinates so the volume element is [itex]dV=r^2sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]

Last edited:
The 4pi is normalized away by the spherical harmonics. You essentially already integrated over a spherical shell, and over that entire spherical shell, you should get the integral to be 1.

What is the expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen?

The expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen is the average distance of an electron from the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. It is a measure of the most probable location of the electron in the atom.

How is the expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen calculated?

The expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen is calculated by integrating the radial part of the wavefunction over all possible values of the radius, weighted by the probability of finding the electron at that radius.

What factors affect the expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen?

The expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen is affected by the principal quantum number (n), the orbital quantum number (l), and the magnetic quantum number (m). It also depends on the energy level and the shape of the orbital.

Why is the expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen important?

The expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms. It provides information about the most likely location of the electron, which is crucial in predicting chemical properties and reactions.

Can the expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen be experimentally determined?

Yes, the expectation value for the radial part of the wavefunction of Hydrogen can be experimentally determined through spectroscopic techniques such as photoelectron spectroscopy or electron energy loss spectroscopy. These methods involve exciting the electron to higher energy levels and measuring the energy released when it returns to the ground state, which can then be used to calculate the expectation value.