Finding meaning in the Phase of the wavefunction

In summary, the conversation discusses the expectation value for a new wavefunction, defined as ##\psi_{new}##(x) = ##e^{{-iqx}/{\hbar}}## ##\psi_{0}##, in the state given by ##\psi_{new}##(x). The answer to the question is ##q + p_{0}##, as shown in the provided link. The conversation also clarifies that while in general, eigenvalues of operators can be complex numbers, the eigenvalues of Hermitian operators, which represent observables, are always real. Additionally, it is important to note that in this specific case, where ##\psi_{0}## is only specified as a
Irishdoug
Homework Statement
Suppose ##\psi_{0}## is a properly normalised wavefunction with ##<x_{\psi_0} >## = ##x_{0}## and ##<p_{\psi_0} >## = ##p_{0}##. Define a new wavefunction ##\psi_{new}##(x) = ##e^{{-iqx}/{\hbar}}## ##\psi_{0}##
Relevant Equations
N/A
Suppose ##\psi_{0}## is a properly normalised wavefunction with ##<x_{\psi_0} >## = ##x_{0}## and ##<p_{\psi_0} >## = ##p_{0}##. Define a new wavefunction ##\psi_{new}##(x) = ##e^{{-iqx}/{\hbar}}## ##\psi_{0}##

What is the expectation value ##<\psi_{new}>## in the state given by ##\psi_{new}##(x)?

The answer to the question is given here: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...pring-2013/assignments/MIT8_04S13_ps6_sol.pdf (It is ##q + p_{0}##)

In doing the question myself I got as far as (##-i \hbar##) ##(\frac{iq}{\hbar})## ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_{0} e^{-iqx/\hbar} \psi_{0} e^{iqx/\hbar} dx ## + (##-i \hbar##) ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_{0} e^{-iqx/\hbar} \psi_{0}' e^{iqx/\hbar} dx ##

Now, the 2nd integral on the right is just equal to ##p_{0}## . It is not clear to me how the first integral reduces to just q to give the answer of ##q + p_{0}## as we are left with ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_{0}^{2} e^{0} dx ##

I did the integral and it is divergent. Does this mean it is treated as being 1 as it's unphysical and we are just left with q after the cancelations of i and ##\hbar##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I just realized after writng that all out that
##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_{0}^{2} dx ## is the probability density function which is = 1 by definition so I'm guessing that is why it reduces to 1?

Irishdoug said:
Ok I just realized after writng that all out that
##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_{0}^{2} dx ## is the probability density function which is = 1 by definition so I'm guessing that is why it reduces to 1?

You should have ##\psi_0^* \psi_0## in those integrals.

Is it not the case that ##\psi_{0}## can be taken to be real as such ##\psi^{*}_{0}## = ##\psi_{0}##?

Irishdoug said:
Is it not the case that ##\psi_{0}## can be taken to be real as such ##\psi^{*}_{0}## = ##\psi_{0}##?
Not in general.

Likes Irishdoug
Ok, I thought this was a general rule as such.

Irishdoug said:
Ok, I thought this was a general rule as such.
You can often choose a set of particular eigenfunctions to be real-valued. But, that's different from any set of eigenfunctions being real-valued.

Am I correct in saying that the eigenvalue has to be real-valued though?

Irishdoug said:
Am I correct in saying that the eigenvalue has to be real-valued though?
Eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator are real.

Ok, I need to be more careful with my language then. I thought in QM, in general, eigenvalues had to be real. I am assuming this presumption is incorrect?

Irishdoug said:
Ok, I need to be more careful with my language then. I thought in QM, in general, eigenvalues had to be real. I am assuming this presumption is incorrect?

The eigenvalues of operators in general are complex numbers. E.g. the eigenvalues of the lowering (annihilation) operator for the SHO can be any complex number.

The eigenvalues of Hermitian operators, which represent observables, are real.

In this case, however, all the problem says is that ##\psi_0## is a normalised wavefunction. You can't assume anything further.

Likes Irishdoug
PeroK said:
The eigenvalues of operators in general are complex numbers. E.g. the eigenvalues of the lowering (annihilation) operator for the SHO can be any complex number.

The eigenvalues of Hermitian operators, which represent observables, are real.

In this case, however, all the problem says is that ##\psi_0## is a normalised wavefunction. You can't assume anything further.

Ah that makes perfect sense now. Thankyou!

1. What is the wavefunction and why is it important in finding meaning?

The wavefunction is a mathematical representation of a quantum system, which describes the probabilities of different outcomes when measuring certain properties of the system. It is important in finding meaning because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles.

2. How does the phase of the wavefunction affect the meaning of a quantum system?

The phase of the wavefunction represents the relative position and orientation of the quantum system. It affects the meaning of the system by determining the probabilities of different outcomes when measuring its properties. The phase can also be used to manipulate and control the behavior of quantum particles.

3. Can the phase of the wavefunction be measured directly?

No, the phase of the wavefunction cannot be measured directly. It can only be inferred through measurements of other properties of the system. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that certain properties of a quantum system cannot be known simultaneously with complete precision.

4. How does finding meaning in the phase of the wavefunction relate to quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the phase of the wavefunction is used to store and manipulate information. By controlling the phase, quantum computers can perform calculations and solve complex problems much faster than classical computers. Understanding the meaning of the phase is crucial in developing and improving quantum computing technology.

5. Are there any practical applications of finding meaning in the phase of the wavefunction?

Yes, there are many practical applications of understanding and manipulating the phase of the wavefunction. These include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. The ability to control and measure the phase of quantum systems has the potential to revolutionize technology in various fields, such as communication, medicine, and materials science.