Energy flow in the wave equation (PDE)

In summary: The problem statement involves showing that a given equation satisfies a conservation law. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the derivative of a quantity E and equating it to the negative of the derivative of a function J. However, Mat is unsure of where the function J comes from and how to integrate the negative of dE/dt to arrive at J. Brian suggests using the known relation between E and J to compute J.
Brian4455

Homework Statement

I have a problem that I'm trying to make sense of. Note y_t is the partial derivative of y with respect to t and y_tt is the second order partial derivative of y with respect to t, etc. The complete problem statement is the following:

Show that for the equation y_tt - c^2 y_xx = 0
the quantity E = 1/2(y_t^2 + c^2 y_x^2)
satisfies a conservation law dE/dt + dJ/dx = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated dE/dt to = y_t * y_tt + c^2 y_x * y_xt so dJ/dx must equal the negation of dE/dt. But I'm not sure where J comes from. I'm guessing that it is somehow related to y through the wave equation but I'm not sure how. Also it is unclear to me how I could integrate the negation of dE/dt to arrive at J. I gave the complete problem statement. In that chapter of the book the function J is used but I don't think it applies to this problem. It involves a function J in terms of other variables. Hoping what I gave makes sense.

Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is just a mathematical trick. After you have differentiated E with respect to t then you
can observe that the two terms may also be obtained by differentiating another function with respect
to x. This function turns out to be y_t y_x and we can call it -J. Making this definition gives the result.

Brian4455 said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem that I'm trying to make sense of. Note y_t is the partial derivative of y with respect to t and y_tt is the second order partial derivative of y with respect to t, etc. The complete problem statement is the following:

Show that for the equation y_tt - c^2 y_xx = 0
the quantity E = 1/2(y_t^2 + c^2 y_x^2)
satisfies a conservation law dE/dt + dJ/dx = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated dE/dt to = y_t * y_tt + c^2 y_x * y_xt so dJ/dx must equal the negation of dE/dt. But I'm not sure where J comes from. I'm guessing that it is somehow related to y through the wave equation but I'm not sure how. Also it is unclear to me how I could integrate the negation of dE/dt to arrive at J. I gave the complete problem statement. In that chapter of the book the function J is used but I don't think it applies to this problem. It involves a function J in terms of other variables. Hoping what I gave makes sense.

Brian

You know E, you know the conservation relation that E and J satisfy, can't you use these two to try and compute what J has to be?

Mat

Related to Energy flow in the wave equation (PDE)

What is the wave equation and how is it related to energy flow?

The wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in various physical systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It is related to energy flow because it describes how energy is transferred through a medium as a wave propagates.

How does the wave equation account for energy conservation?

The wave equation is derived from the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the wave equation, the total energy of the system is constant, and it is transferred between kinetic and potential energy as the wave propagates.

What is the role of boundary conditions in the wave equation?

Boundary conditions are necessary in the wave equation to determine how the wave behaves at the boundaries of the system. They specify the behavior of the wave at the edges of the system and can affect the amplitude, frequency, and direction of the wave.

How does the speed of the wave affect energy flow in the wave equation?

The speed of the wave is directly related to the energy flow in the wave equation. As the speed of the wave increases, the energy flow also increases, since the wave is able to transfer more energy in a shorter amount of time. This can be seen in the equation for the energy density of a wave, which includes the speed of the wave.

What are some real-world applications of the wave equation and its understanding of energy flow?

The wave equation has numerous real-world applications, such as in the fields of acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. Understanding energy flow in the wave equation allows for the design and optimization of various technologies, including musical instruments, communication systems, and ocean wave energy converters.