Maximizing Energy Density: How to Find the Optimal Frequency?

In summary, a non-analytical equation for the frequency, fmax, at which the energy density, u, is a maximum is derived by taking the derivative and setting it equal to 0. This results in a transcendental equation, 3(e^x - 1) - x e^x = 0, in which the W function is used to solve for x = (h f)/(k T). Alternatively, numerical methods or iteration can be used to solve for fmax.
morbidwork

Homework Statement

u(f, T) = (8 pi h f^3)/(c^3 (e^(h f/ k T) - 1))
find an equation for the frequency, fmax, at which the energy density, u, is a maximum.

Homework Equations

C,h,pi, and k are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative and set the equation equal to 0. My problem is I end up with a non-analytical equation. Instead I end up with the transcendental equation:

3(e^x - 1) - x e^x = 0 which I am not sure how to solve I know I must use Lambert's Product Law but I am unsure of how the W function works.edit
as well x = (h f)/(k T)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve it nummerically instead, or iterate.

Related to Maximizing Energy Density: How to Find the Optimal Frequency?

What is Wien's Displacement Law?

Wien's Displacement Law, also known as Wien's Law or the Wien Displacement Law, is a physical law that describes the relationship between the wavelength of maximum emission and the temperature of a blackbody. It states that the wavelength of maximum emission is inversely proportional to the temperature of the blackbody, with the proportionality constant known as Wien's displacement constant.

What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits radiation at all wavelengths according to its temperature. It is often used as a theoretical model for understanding the behavior of real objects that emit and absorb radiation, such as stars and planets.

What is the mathematical formula for Wien's Displacement Law?

The mathematical formula for Wien's Displacement Law is λmax = b/T, where λmax is the wavelength of maximum emission, b is Wien's displacement constant (2.8977729 x 10^-3 m⋅K), and T is the temperature of the blackbody in Kelvin.

How does Wien's Displacement Law apply to real-world objects?

While Wien's Displacement Law was originally derived for ideal blackbodies, it has been found to be a good approximation for real objects that emit and absorb radiation, such as stars, planets, and even everyday objects. However, the exact wavelength of maximum emission may vary slightly due to factors such as surface properties and composition.

What are the practical applications of Wien's Displacement Law?

Wien's Displacement Law has many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and engineering. It can be used to determine the temperature of a blackbody based on its observed peak emission wavelength, and it is also used in the design of thermal imaging cameras and other devices that measure or utilize thermal radiation.