Series + Integral: Investigate Convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses using the ratio test to investigate the convergence of a function. The suggestion is to find the limit of an integral from 1/(n+1) to 1/n and show it is less than 1. There is some confusion about how this leads to an integral from 1/(n+1) to 1/n.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hello.

I need to to investigate (I hope I said that right :blushing:) the converge of this function, any idea guys?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend using the "ratio test". That will lead to an integral from 1/(n+1) to 1/n and you need to show that the limit of that integral, as n goes to infinity, is less than 1.

[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{ \int^{1/{n+1}}_0 \frac{x^{1/4}}{1+x^2} dx}{ \int^{1/{n}}_0 \frac{x^{1/4}}{1+x^2} dx}[/tex].

I'm not sure how that gives an integral from 1/(n+1) to 1/n =S

EDIT: Dont know what's wrong with the latex.

1. What is a series?

A series is a sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. It can be written as ∑an, where a is the terms of the sequence and n is the index of the terms.

2. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is often used to calculate the total value or quantity of a function over a given interval.

3. How do you investigate convergence of a series?

To investigate convergence of a series, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. These tests can help determine whether a series converges or diverges.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the sum of the absolute values of the terms converges. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to a series where the sum of the terms converges, but not the absolute values of the terms.

5. Why is it important to investigate convergence of a series?

Investigating convergence of a series is important because it allows us to determine whether the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers will converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity. This information is crucial in many applications of mathematics and science.