Proving that the Laplace Transform of J0(t) is 1/(s + 1)^1/2

In summary, the zero order bessel function J0(0+) = 1, J'0(0+) = 0. and J0(t) satisfies the differential equation. The Attempt at a Solution could anyone help on this. How to I go about with the question. Tried using a general solution that is J(t) = C1e^r1t + C2e^r2t..But I am not sure if that right... I wasn't able to prove...ThxWhy not start by finding the Laplace transform of your DE?thx for replying...But how do I find the Laplace transform of the differential equation? Do i convert it to general solution J(t)
sensitive
The zero order bessel function J0(0+) = 1, J'0(0+) = 0. and J0(t) satisfies teh differential equation

2. ty''(t) + y'(t) + ty(t) = 0, t>0
Prove thata the Laplace transform of J0(t) is 1/(s + 1)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Could anyone help on this. How to I go about with the question. Tried using a general solution that is J(t) = C1e^r1t + C2e^r2t..But I am not sure if that right... I wasn't able to prove...Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not start by finding the Laplace transform of your DE?

thx for replying...But how do I find the Laplace transform of the differential equation? Do i convert it to general solution J(t) = C1e^r1t + C2e^r2t. Is that right? Because i tried using that general equation and found two values of t and substituted in the general equation and solve simultaneously..but still wasn't able to prove...

I've found websites and even read books. It all says the same thing about bessel equation having a general solution. http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0213.pdf
But what i don't get is that the in the general solution what is my v in my DE. I don't see any relationship. I am so confused..

If you are working with Bessel functions and Green's functions (you titled this "Green function" but I don't see anything in the problem that has anything to do with Green's function) then you should have learned long ago that functions of the form [itex]C_1e^{r_1t}+ C_2e^{r_2t}[/itex] satisfy linear equations with constant coefficients. Bessel's equation, the equation you are given, obviously does NOT have integer coefficients. You are not expected to "find" a solution, you are expected to find the Laplace transform of the differential equation.

Do you know how to find the Laplace transform of something like f(x) dy/dx in terms of the Laplace transform of y?

I am not quite sure but is the Lapalce transform of f(x) dy/dx is sY(s) - Yo and the laplace transform of d2y/dx2 is s2Y(s) - sY0 - Y1.

If I am wrong. Please kindly correct me and if you could kindly give me some hints to go about with the question. Thx

ty''(t) + y'(t) + ty(t) = 0
Divide the equation by t gives

y''(t) + 1/ty'(t) + ty(t) = 0

Using Laplace Transform it gives

s2*Y - s*y0 - y1 + 1/t*(S*Y - y0) + t*Y = 0

(s2 + 1/t*s + t)*Y - s - 1/t = 0

so now Y = (s = 1/t)/(s2 + 1/t*s + t)

but i still can't prove the equation...:(

The Laplace transform of tf(t) is NOT t times the Laplace transform of f(t)!

oh there was an error

ty''(t) + y'(t) + ty(t) = 0
Divide the equation by t gives

y''(t) + 1/t*y'(t) + y(t) = 0

Using Laplace Transform it gives

s2*Y - s*y0 - y1 + 1/t*(s*Y - y0) + Y = 0

(s2 + 1/t*s + 1)*Y - s - 1/t = 0

so now Y = (s + 1/t)/(s2 + 1/t*s + 1)

I have tried completing the square but it doesn't help...Is my Y correct?

1. What is the Laplace Transform of J0(t)?

The Laplace Transform of J0(t) is the integral of the Bessel function of the first kind with order 0, J0(t), multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable.

2. How is the Laplace Transform of J0(t) derived?

The Laplace Transform of J0(t) is derived using the definition of the Laplace Transform and applying techniques of integration, such as integration by parts and trigonometric identities.

3. Why is the Laplace Transform of J0(t) important?

The Laplace Transform of J0(t) is important because it allows us to solve differential equations involving the Bessel function J0(t) in the time domain by transforming them into algebraic equations in the frequency domain.

4. What is the significance of the result that the Laplace Transform of J0(t) is 1/(s + 1)^1/2?

The result that the Laplace Transform of J0(t) is 1/(s + 1)^1/2 has several implications. Firstly, it shows that the Laplace Transform of J0(t) exists and is well-defined for all values of s. Additionally, it provides a useful tool for solving differential equations involving J0(t), as the inverse Laplace Transform of 1/(s + 1)^1/2 is a well-known function with applications in various fields such as signal processing and control theory.

5. Are there any other important properties of the Laplace Transform of J0(t)?

Yes, there are several other important properties of the Laplace Transform of J0(t). For example, it is an analytic function in the complex plane, it is an even function, and it has a zero at s=-1. These properties have significant applications in engineering and physics, particularly in the study of oscillatory systems and wave propagation.