Masters After Undergrad vs. Part-Time While Working

In summary, the members of the forum discussed the benefits of pursuing a masters degree (MSEE) directly after undergrad versus working for a company with tuition reimbursement and doing it part-time. Some felt that doing it right after undergrad would be quicker and allow for a higher starting salary, while others believed that working and gaining experience before pursuing the degree could be beneficial. Practical considerations such as location of the university and potential commitment to the company were also mentioned. Financial factors were also taken into consideration. Ultimately, the decision should be based on individual circumstances and career goals.
WolfpackPride
Hey,

In the opinions of the members of this forum, which is more beneficial in the long-run: Pursuing a masters degree (MSEE) directly after undergrad or working for a company with tuition reimbursement for about 6 months and doing it part time. I figure that the 30 credit hours needed for the degree would take about 1.5-2 years right after undergrad or 3-4 years part-time/online (6 months to get used to the company, 1 class a semester, including summers).

On one side, doing it right after undergrad gets it done quicker, allows you to stay in "school mode," and gives a higher starting salary (which equals a higher 3-5% raise when they are given). On the other hand, doing it part-time allows you to see exactly what you like and get a degree plus 3-4 years of experience. However, it can be hard because you are used to not being in school and already work 40 hours+ a week. Plus, you never know what you may be doing in life then (family perhaps, etc.). I realize there are many advantages and disadvantages to each approach and I was wondering everyone's opinion on the matter. To add to this, I am an EE major in power and will have 12 months of co-op experience upon graduation.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are completely reasonable options. I did my MSEE full-time immediately after my BSEE and I'm glad that I got it out of the way while I was still in "school mode," but it wouldn't have been any major hardship to do one course at a time while working full time; I have several colleagues who are doing exactly that right now. They do become very busy during final exam/project week, but no worse so than when we have a deadline crunch. (It would be bad to have final exams AND a deadline crunch at the same time, though!)

There are a couple of practical considerations that you should take into account: (1) if you have to physically travel to the university for your classes, how far away is it, and in what kind of traffic; and maybe more importantly (2) what kind of commitment will the company require in return, i.e., will you be required to either stay at the company for N years after finishing the master's or reimburse them for the cost if you leave? This is not uncommon. Depending on your intended career path, you may or may not want to sign up for that kind of commitment, as there is generally a benefit in terms of salary advancement and breadth of experience that comes with not "stagnating" too long at one company. (This also depends heavily on WHICH company it is.)

Of course there's also the financial part of the equation: how much will it cost you to get the MS on your own, including tuition (if any) and opportunity cost of not starting work sooner. I did mine partly on a teaching assistantship so the direct cost was low (plus I got a small salary), but I didn't have the engineer salary during that time, and I also graduated into a worse job climate (early 1990s) than when I finished my BS.

Last edited:

I cannot make a definitive recommendation on this matter as it ultimately depends on your individual goals, circumstances, and priorities. However, I can provide some insights and considerations to help inform your decision.

Firstly, it is important to consider the value of hands-on experience in your field. Working for a company with tuition reimbursement may provide you with valuable practical skills and knowledge that can complement your theoretical education. This can also give you a better understanding of the industry and help you determine if a master's degree is truly necessary for your career advancement. On the other hand, pursuing a master's degree directly after your undergraduate studies may give you a more in-depth and specialized knowledge in your field, which can be beneficial in certain industries and job roles.

Secondly, think about the financial aspect of each option. Pursuing a master's degree full-time may lead to a higher starting salary, but it also means taking on the financial burden of tuition fees and potentially delaying your entry into the workforce. On the other hand, working while pursuing a degree part-time may help you avoid taking on student loans and can provide you with a steady income, but it may also limit your availability for other opportunities and take longer to complete the degree.

Additionally, consider your personal goals and priorities. Are you looking to advance your career quickly or are you more interested in gaining practical experience before committing to a higher level of education? Are you willing to make sacrifices in terms of work-life balance to pursue a degree full-time, or would you prefer a more gradual approach? These are all important factors to consider when making your decision.

Ultimately, both options have their own advantages and disadvantages, and it is important to carefully weigh them against your individual circumstances. I would recommend speaking with professionals in your field, seeking advice from mentors or career counselors, and carefully researching the job market to make an informed decision that aligns with your goals and priorities.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree immediately after completing undergrad?

1. Specialized knowledge and skills: Pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad allows you to build upon the knowledge and skills you gained during your undergraduate studies. This can make you more competitive in the job market and open up more career opportunities.

2. Time efficiency: Pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad allows you to complete your education in a shorter amount of time. This can save you time and money in the long run.

3. Focus on studies: By pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad, you can focus solely on your studies without the added stress of balancing work and school.

4. Networking opportunities: Graduate school provides a great opportunity to network with other students and professionals in your field, which can lead to valuable connections and potential job opportunities.

5. Higher earning potential: In many fields, having a Masters degree can lead to higher earning potential and better job prospects.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters part-time while working?

1. Flexibility: Pursuing a Masters degree part-time while working allows you to balance your education with your job and other responsibilities.

2. Hands-on experience: By working while pursuing your Masters degree, you can gain valuable hands-on experience in your field, which can make you more competitive in the job market.

3. Practical application: As a working professional, you can apply the knowledge and skills you learn in your Masters program directly to your job, making your education more relevant and beneficial.

4. Financial stability: Pursuing a Masters degree part-time while working allows you to maintain a steady income, making it easier to cover the costs of education and living expenses.

5. Professional growth: Pursuing a Masters degree part-time while working can help you develop new skills and knowledge that can contribute to your professional growth and advancement in your career.

Which option is more cost-effective: Masters after undergrad or part-time while working?

In terms of cost, pursuing a Masters degree part-time while working may be more cost-effective in the short term as you can continue working and earning an income while completing your degree. However, pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad may be more cost-effective in the long term as it allows you to complete your education in a shorter amount of time and potentially earn a higher salary earlier in your career.

Can I work while pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad, but it may be more challenging to balance both commitments. It's important to consider your workload and time-management skills before making this decision.

Is it possible to switch from one option to the other?

Yes, it is possible to switch from pursuing a Masters degree immediately after undergrad to part-time while working, or vice versa. However, it's important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to switch and the potential impact on your education and career goals before making a decision.