Complex Conjugates: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter Hypnotoad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses complex conjugates and their properties, as well as proving the analyticity of a function and the effect of taking the complex conjugate on its differentiability. The main points are that taking the complex conjugate of a function is equivalent to replacing y with -y, and the Cauchy-Riemann conditions still hold for the complex conjugate of a function.
Hypnotoad
Complex conjugates (new question in 1st post)

I have a couple questions on complex variables:

1.)If you have a complex function defined as follows:
[tex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/tex]
with x,y real, what do you get if you take the complex conjugate of the variable z?
[tex]f(z^*)=?[/tex]

I was thinking that it wouldn't change since the complex variable has been replaced with two real variables, but that doesn't seem right.

If I take the conjugate of the entire function, is this what I should get:

[tex]f^*(z)=u(x,y)-iv(x,y)[/tex]

2.) If you are trying to prove that a function is not analytic at a specific point, is it sufficient to show that the Cauchy-Riemann conditions do not hold? I'm trying to show that the derivative of a function at zero is dependant on the direction that you approach zero. I've shown that the C-R conditions are not met, but I'm not sure how to show explicitly for that point that they are not met.

EDIT: NEW QUESTION

I figured I would just edit this topic instead of starting a new one. I'm trying to prove that if a function [tex]f(z)[/tex] is analytic then the function [tex]f^{*}(z^{*})[/tex] is also analytic.

I'm not sure how to get this started. It makes sense that taking the conjugate wouldn't affect the differentiability, but I don't know how to prove that. Any hints on how to get this problem started?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get the complex conjugate of f(z) replace y with -y.

Is that just a general rule, or is that something I should be trying to prove?

[tex]z[/tex] is defined by [tex]x+iy[/tex]. Therefore, the function [tex]f(z)[/tex] is equivalent to a function [tex]f(x,y)[/tex] with two arguments. Since [tex]z^\ast=x-iy[/tex], [tex]f(z^\ast)[/tex] is similarly equivalent to a function [tex]f(x,-y)[/tex].

Hope that this is the proof you are looking for.

Kenneth

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I added a question to the first post. I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Given [tex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/tex] is analytic, we have

[tex]\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial y}[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x}[/tex].

Next, we have [tex]f^\ast(z^\ast)=u(x,-y)-iv(x,-y)[/tex]. Rewrite it as [tex]f^\ast(z^\ast)=u'(x,y')+iv'(x,y')[/tex] where [tex]u'(x,y')=u(x,-y)[/tex] and [tex]v'(x,y')=-v(x,-y)[/tex]. Now, we have the following:

[tex]\frac{\partial u'(x,y')}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\,,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u'(x,y')}{\partial y'}=-\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x}\,,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial v'(x,y')}{\partial x}=-\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial x}\,,[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial v'(x,y')}{\partial y'}=\frac{\partial v(x,y)}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial u(x,y)}{\partial x}\,.[/tex]

Isn't it the Cauchy-Riemann condition still be hold for [tex]f^\ast(z^\ast)[/tex]?

Kenneth

Last edited:

1. What are complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are a pair of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. In other words, if a complex number is written as a + bi, its complex conjugate would be written as a - bi.

2. What is the significance of complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are important in complex analysis and in solving equations involving complex numbers. They also have applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of electromagnetic fields and signal processing.

3. How do you find the complex conjugate of a given complex number?

To find the complex conjugate of a given complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 4i would be 3 - 4i.

4. Can a complex number be its own complex conjugate?

Yes, a complex number with an imaginary part of 0 is its own complex conjugate. For example, the complex conjugate of 5 + 0i is 5 + 0i.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of complex conjugates?

The complex conjugate of a complex number represents the reflection of that number across the real axis on the complex plane. This is because changing the sign of the imaginary part essentially flips the number across the real axis.