Can Lead-lag Controllers be Converted to PID Controllers?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a controller using labview FPGA, which can only handle a PID controller. The speaker is seeking help or guidance on how to proceed with their desired controller, and someone suggests using the phase profile vs. frequency to determine the PID controller gain. However, the speaker expresses doubt about being able to design their system solely through phase manipulation.
clarky12

Homework Statement

I'm curently designing a controller, I have calculated the desired controller in terms of phase lead and phase lag, however I'm designing the controller on labview FPGA, which can only cope with a PID controller, I'm just wondering if anyone could help me by pointing me in the right direction, or alternitivly tell me that it can't be done in which case I'll just have to tune from scratch.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the phase profile vs. frequency then the pid controller gain is O(s)/I(s) = H(s) = k_p + k_i/s + k_d s, then phase (w) = arc tan Im(H)/Re(H) where Re(H) and Im(H) are the real and imaginary parts of H(jw).

But I don't believe you can design your system just by phase manipulation ...

Related to Can Lead-lag Controllers be Converted to PID Controllers?

1. What is the difference between lead, lag, and PID control?

Lead, lag, and PID control are all methods used to adjust a system's output in response to changes in its input. Lead control involves adding a positive phase shift to the input signal, while lag control adds a negative phase shift. PID control, on the other hand, combines proportional, integral, and derivative actions to adjust the output in a more complex and precise manner.

2. Why convert lead-lag to PID terms?

Converting lead-lag control to PID terms allows for a more comprehensive and efficient control of a system. PID control combines the benefits of both lead and lag control, allowing for faster and more accurate response to changes in the input signal.

3. How do you convert lead-lag to PID terms?

To convert lead-lag control to PID terms, you need to first determine the transfer function of the system. From there, you can use a formula or a software tool to calculate the proportional, integral, and derivative terms that will be used in the PID controller. These terms can then be used to set the corresponding gains in the controller.

4. What are the advantages of using PID control over lead-lag control?

PID control offers several advantages over lead-lag control. It provides a more precise and adaptable control of a system, allowing for faster response to changes in the input signal. It also reduces steady-state error and can handle more complex systems with multiple inputs and outputs.

5. Are there any disadvantages to converting lead-lag to PID terms?

One potential disadvantage of converting lead-lag to PID terms is that it requires a more complex implementation, both in terms of calculations and the actual control hardware. Additionally, tuning the proportional, integral, and derivative terms can be challenging and may require a deeper understanding of the system dynamics.