Laser Cavity Length Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about using a formula to find the optical cavity length of a laser using results from testing fringe patterns in a Michelson interferometer. The formula used is ##2Ln = d##, where ##d## is the distance between two high amplitude peaks and ##n## is the refractive index of the material inside the cavity.
Biest
Hi,

So I have a lab question for which I have to drive a formula to find the optical cavity length of a laser, [tex] L [/tex]. I have results from testing the fringe patterns when I move one of the mirrors in a Michelson interferometer. It shows the typical [tex] \frac{\sin x}{x} [/tex] pattern. To find the cavity length, I use the distance between two high amplitude peaks, [tex] d[/tex], and the refractive index of the material inside the cavity, silicon in this case so 4.01. What I did was this, since the distance between peaks is the time between a wave has traveled [tex] 2L [/tex], I figured that this formula has to be true:

[tex] \frac{2Ln}{c} = \frac{d}{c}[/tex]

which will give me

[tex] 2Ln = d[/tex]

Is this accurate?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Biest

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm inferring what you did in lab correctly, you must have a Michelson interferometer with a variable path length difference (##d##) and you are using a multimode laser as a light source. You scan the interferometer path length difference and you record the intensity of the fringe. As you scan the path length difference of the interferometer, you will find path lengths for which some of the laser modes constructively interfere. The distance between two adjacent laser modes that constructively interfere tells you the FSR of the laser cavity.

If ##d## here means the total difference in path length between the reference arms (as opposed to the difference in mirror position measured relative to the beamsplitter), then yes your formulas are correct: ##2Ln = d##.

1. How is the laser cavity length calculated?

The laser cavity length is typically calculated using the formula L = n * λ / 2, where L is the cavity length, n is the mode number, and λ is the wavelength of the laser.

2. What factors affect the laser cavity length?

The laser cavity length is affected by the refractive index of the laser medium, the mirror reflectivity, and the laser wavelength. Other factors such as temperature and external perturbations can also have an impact on the cavity length.

3. Why is it important to calculate the laser cavity length?

The laser cavity length is an important parameter as it determines the mode spacing and the spectral characteristics of the laser output. Accurate calculation of the cavity length is crucial for achieving specific laser performance and optimizing its efficiency.

4. How does the laser cavity length affect the laser output?

The laser cavity length determines the spacing between the longitudinal modes of the laser. This, in turn, affects the spectral bandwidth and coherence length of the laser output. A shorter cavity length can result in a broader bandwidth and lower coherence length, while a longer cavity length will produce a narrower bandwidth and higher coherence length.

5. Are there any software tools available for laser cavity length calculation?

Yes, there are various software tools available for calculating the laser cavity length, such as MATLAB, Python, and commercial laser simulation software. These tools use different algorithms and methods to accurately calculate the cavity length based on the user's input parameters.