What is the Force Generated by a Non-Elliptical Orbit Planet?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a planet's orbit around a star, where the planet seems to be responding to an additional force with the form F1 \alpha r^-\alpha. The attempt at a solution involves finding the value of B in terms of alpha by assuming a background density of material with a spherically symmetric density that falls off as p1 (alpha) r^-B. Assistance is requested in getting started with the problem.
Tom1

Homework Statement

A planet around a star has an orbit that is not exactly an ellipse. In addition to the dominant Fo [tex]\alpha[/tex] r^-2 term due to gravity from the central star, the planet seems to be responding to a slight additional force which has the form F1 [tex]\alpha[/tex] r^-[tex]\alpha[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is some constant.

Homework Equations

Included in 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Where do I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea since I don't know what you're supposed to be doing.

Sorry, part of this seems to have been cut off.

Assuming there is a slight background density of material with spherically symmetric density p1 falling off as p1 (alpha) r^-B

Find the value of B in terms of alpha

Can anyone help me get started please? I don't understand this at all and it's due soon.

Near as I can tell you want to assume there is a mass distribution with density rho(r)=p1*(r/r0)^(-B). Now you want to figure out the radial dependence of the force it generates. Compute total mass as a function of r, M(r). Use that to calculate the force.

1. What is the concept of gravitation?

The concept of gravitation is the force of attraction that exists between any two objects with mass. This force is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. What are the laws of gravitation?

The laws of gravitation were first described by Sir Isaac Newton and state that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is gravitation related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains gravitation as a curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects. This means that objects with mass cause the fabric of space-time to bend, resulting in the force of gravitation.

4. How is the strength of gravitation measured?

The strength of gravitation is measured by the gravitational constant, which is a fundamental constant of nature. It is denoted by G and has a value of approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

5. What are some practical applications of the understanding of gravitation?

The understanding of gravitation has many practical applications, including space travel, satellite communication, and the accurate prediction of celestial events such as eclipses and planetary orbits. It also plays a crucial role in the fields of astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology.