Mechanical energy for planet in elliptical orbit around star

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanical energy of a planet in an elliptical orbit around a star and the mechanical energy of the star-planet system. The planet has both potential and kinetic energy, with the potential energy decreasing as the planet moves closer to the star and the kinetic energy increasing. The sum of these energies remains constant. The mechanical energy of the star-planet system includes the gravitational potential energy (-GmM/r) and the kinetic energies of both objects. The total energy is constant and negative. The correct answer is C, but the phrasing of the problem was ambiguous.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

A planet is in an elliptical orbit around a star. Which of the following best represents the mechanical energy E_planet of just the planet and the mechanical energy Es_tar-planet of the star-planet system as functions of time for one complete orbit?

IMG_9743.jpg
IMG_9744.jpg

Homework Equations

Ei = Ef (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The planet has both PE and KE, and when it is further away from the star, it is traveling much faster so KE goes up while PE goes down due to increased r. And when it's near the star, r increased so PE goes up but KE decreases due to slower speed. But the sum of PE and KE should be equal anytime.

For star-planet, the PE is -GmM/r, so I chose the answer A, but apparently the answer is C and I'm having a hard time understanding why.

Attachments

• IMG_9743.jpg
    IMG_9743.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 3,940
  • IMG_9744.jpg
    IMG_9744.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,845
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:
For star-planet, the PE is -GmM/r, so I chose the answer A, but apparently the answer is C and I'm having a hard time understanding why.
Like you, I would have chosen answer A, including both the planet's kinetic and gravitational potential energy in the planet's "total mechanical energy".

However, it appears that "mechanical energy of just the planet" is intended not to include any gravitational potential energy based on the planet's position in the gravitational field of the star.

The "mechanical energy of the star-planet system" does include the gravitational potential energy (-GmM/r) just as you indicate along with their kinetic energies. The total is constant and negative, as indicated by both A and C.

@jbriggs444 — then when the problem says "ME of just the planet", should I normally think of simply the KE? Does these kinds of things apply to other situations?

JessicaHelena said:
@jbriggs444 — then when the problem says "ME of just the planet", should I normally think of simply the KE? Does these kinds of things apply to other situations?
In my view, the phrasing was ambiguous. So there is no hard and fast rule to cling to.

A useful clue might have been the fact that in answer A, the total mechanical energy of the planet was indicated as constant and positive. But with the conventional choice of zero potential energy at infinity, the energy should have been constant and negative.

That is a useful general approach to successful multiple choice problem solving -- if a particular interpretation of a problem makes all of the answers wrong, try a different interpretation.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is the sum of an object's kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy of position).

2. How is mechanical energy related to an object in an elliptical orbit around a star?

In an elliptical orbit, an object's mechanical energy remains constant due to the conservation of energy principle. As the object moves closer to the star, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. As it moves further away from the star, the opposite occurs. However, the total mechanical energy remains the same.

3. How does the shape of the orbit affect the object's mechanical energy?

The shape of the orbit does not affect the object's mechanical energy, as long as the orbit remains elliptical. This means that the distance between the object and the star is constantly changing, but the total energy of the object remains constant.

4. How does the object's distance from the star affect its mechanical energy?

The object's distance from the star directly affects its mechanical energy. The closer the object is to the star, the higher its kinetic energy and the lower its potential energy. The further away it is, the lower its kinetic energy and the higher its potential energy.

5. Is mechanical energy the only factor influencing an object's orbit around a star?

No, there are other factors that can influence an object's orbit around a star, such as the gravitational force of other celestial bodies and the shape of the star's gravitational field. However, mechanical energy is a key factor in understanding an object's motion in an elliptical orbit.