2nd Order Derivative Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question that asks for an example of a second order derivative in engineering. The example should involve a named second derivative, such as acceleration. The conversation also includes a request for clear steps to arrive at the second derivative and a suggestion to explore the concept of curvature. Finally, the speaker mentions finding a resource that helped them understand the topic and mentions their assignment being one day late.
mikec426

Homework Statement

This is a discussion question from an online course I'm taking.

1. Find an example from engineering which involves a second order derivative. This 2nd order derivative should have some name. For example, the 2nd derivative of displacement with respect to time is called acceleration. 2. For your example, clearly show the original quantity, the first derivative, and the second derivative. 3. Show all the steps involved in arriving from the original quantity to the 2nd derivative. 4. Do not choose displacement, velocity, and acceleration as your example.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is day three of me googling every related term that I can think of and I've just now come across this forum. Can someone point me in the right direction? I've found a few articles online that seem promising and they're all "for purchase."

Thanks,
--Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the notion of "curvature" (as in, say, bending of a beam) involves second derivatives. Does that help? You should find plenty of free material on that.

I looked up some of that. I haven't been able to make a clear step from original equation to 1st and then second derivative.

Finally found something that made a decent amount of sense. My assignment's only one day late...

Related to 2nd Order Derivative Applications

What is a 2nd order derivative?

A 2nd order derivative is the rate of change of a function's slope. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the derivative of the original function.

What are some real-life applications of 2nd order derivatives?

2nd order derivatives are commonly used in physics to calculate acceleration, in economics to determine marginal cost and revenue, and in engineering to analyze the stability of systems.

How do you find the 2nd order derivative of a function?

To find the 2nd order derivative, you first take the derivative of the function to find the 1st order derivative. Then, you take the derivative of the 1st order derivative to find the 2nd order derivative. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule.

What is the difference between 1st and 2nd order derivatives?

The 1st order derivative represents the rate of change of a function's slope, while the 2nd order derivative represents the rate of change of the 1st order derivative. In other words, the 2nd order derivative measures the change in the rate of change of the original function.

Why are 2nd order derivatives important in mathematics?

2nd order derivatives are important in mathematics because they can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function. They can be used to find critical points, determine concavity and inflection points, and optimize functions. In many real-life scenarios, 2nd order derivatives are crucial for making predictions and solving problems.