My Path to Physics Enlightenment

• Studying
  • Thread starter [TDH]AlphaQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Physics
In summary: This book explains the concepts and mathematics behind path integrals in a clear and concise manner. In summary, the conversation revolves around the best way to move forward in learning advanced physics, specifically quantum field theory. The individual is well versed in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, special relativity, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics, and has taken one course on quantum mechanics. They are currently struggling with understanding the mathematics behind quantum field theory and are seeking advice from others who have more experience in the subject. They also have questions about the order in which advanced physics should be learned, a good book for starting on general relativity, and resources for understanding path integrals.
[TDH]AlphaQ
I am trying to determine the best way to move forward in learning physics. I am well versed in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, special relativity, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics and have taken one course on quantum mechanics (used Griffiths). Mathematically I am well versed in differential equations, boundary value methods, PDEs, Fourier transforms and linear algebra. Now I hunger to learn more!

I picked up Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell by Zee but have been moving very slowly through it. He certainly does not show much of the mathematics necessary to derive his conclusions and as a purist, I refuse to move on until I understand the math behind the concepts. Thus it is taking an exorbitant amount of time moving through this book. On the other hand, I have considered that I may not have quite the background for QFT right now and that is what is slowing me down.

For those that have learned much more than myself, how did you go about doing it?

1. What was the order you learned advanced physics (starting from quantum mechanics and on)?
2. What is a good book to start on general relativity having had little tensor experience?
3. Is it safe to jump from a one semester Griffiths QM class into QFT or am I missing a step?
4. Where can I find an introductory yet mathematically rigorous approach to path integrals?

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize this is a lot to ask, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!1. It really depends on what you are interested in. Generally, the order is quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, classical field theory, quantum field theory, and then general relativity. 2. A good book to start on general relativity is "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler. It is quite comprehensive and mathematically rigorous. 3. It is generally recommended to build up your background in mathematics before jumping into QFT. However, if you feel comfortable enough with your current level of mathematics, then you can certainly try jumping into QFT.4. A good introductory yet mathematically rigorous approach to path integrals is found in "Quantum Field Theory Demystified" by David McMahon.

As a fellow physicist, I can relate to your hunger for knowledge and desire to deepen your understanding of physics. Here are some suggestions to help guide you on your path to physics enlightenment:

1. When it comes to learning advanced physics, there is no one "right" order to follow. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals. Some people may choose to focus on a specific area, such as particle physics, and dive deep into that subject before moving on to others. Others may prefer to have a broad understanding of multiple areas. In general, it is helpful to have a solid foundation in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics before delving into more advanced topics like general relativity and quantum field theory.

2. A good book to start with for general relativity would be "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz. It is a well-written and accessible introduction to the subject, assuming minimal prior knowledge of tensors.

3. It is generally not recommended to jump straight from a one-semester course in quantum mechanics to quantum field theory. QFT builds upon the concepts and mathematics of quantum mechanics, so it is important to have a strong understanding of the latter before moving on to the former. I would recommend taking additional courses or self-studying to solidify your understanding of quantum mechanics before diving into QFT.

4. For an introductory yet mathematically rigorous approach to path integrals, I would recommend "Path Integrals in Quantum Mechanics, Statistics, Polymer Physics, and Financial Markets" by Hagen Kleinert. It covers the basics of path integrals in a clear and thorough manner, with a focus on applications in various fields.

In addition to self-study, I would also recommend seeking out opportunities to engage with other physicists, such as attending seminars, conferences, or joining a physics club or group. Collaborating and discussing ideas with others can greatly enhance your understanding and learning experience. Best of luck on your journey to physics enlightenment!

1. What is "My Path to Physics Enlightenment" all about?

"My Path to Physics Enlightenment" is a personal journey and experience of a physicist as they navigate through their education, research, and career. It explores the challenges, triumphs, and lessons learned along the way, providing insight and inspiration for those interested in pursuing a similar path.

2. Why should I read "My Path to Physics Enlightenment"?

"My Path to Physics Enlightenment" offers a unique perspective on the field of physics, shedding light on the inner workings of the scientific community and providing valuable insights for aspiring physicists. It also serves as a source of motivation and encouragement for those facing their own challenges in their pursuit of scientific understanding.

3. What inspired you to write "My Path to Physics Enlightenment"?

As a scientist, I have faced numerous obstacles and setbacks in my journey towards understanding the complexities of the universe. Through "My Path to Physics Enlightenment", I hope to share my experiences and lessons learned with others, in the hopes of inspiring and supporting fellow scientists in their own pursuits.

4. How does "My Path to Physics Enlightenment" differ from other books on physics?

While many books on physics focus on theories and concepts, "My Path to Physics Enlightenment" delves into the personal and emotional aspects of being a scientist. It offers a behind-the-scenes look at the realities of working in the field of physics, providing a more well-rounded and relatable perspective for readers.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from "My Path to Physics Enlightenment"?

My ultimate goal with this book is to inspire and encourage others to pursue their passion for physics. I hope that readers will gain a deeper understanding of the challenges and rewards of being a scientist, and feel motivated to continue their own path towards enlightenment.