What are the key considerations for designing a high-powered magnetizer?

• Thread starter PolyDerek
  • Start date
In summary, the group is discussing the creation of a simple magnetizer using a C-shape core and coil to produce a B field of 5 Tesla in an air gap. They have tested the design in software and found that it requires N*I > 10000A, meaning at least 10000 turns of coil are needed for a current of 1A. They are considering using a capacitor impulse magnetizer circuit and are unsure of the size of the silicon steel core needed for it. The design should proceed as though it were an air core design, with an amp-turn requirement of 500,000 to 600,000. Further calculations and simulations are recommended.
PolyDerek
Hi everyone.
I'm trying to make a simple magnetizer myself.
And I have decided to use a C-shape core and the coil to produce the B field.
To magnetize a magnet the maximum B field we designed is 5 Telsa in air gap.
We have already tested the design in software Maxwell, we found that it requires N*I > 10000A !
That means if we set the current as 1A, we need to make at least 10000 turns of coil.
How to make B field as such large value in proper way?
Our design is a typical dc magnetizer, would it be better if we adopt capacitor impulse magnetizer circuit?
And what is the size of the silicon steel core for it?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, to get 5 Tesla in a magnetizer requires working with magnetic cores well beyond saturation. 5 Tesla is about 3 times the saturation in the best transformer iron, and 10-20 times the best ferrite, and if the magnetizer is pulsed, eddy currents in the core need to be considered. So to first approximation, the magnetizer design should proceed as though it were an air core design.

To get a product (B field times path length λ in air), the amp-turns required is about

NI = Bλ/μ0 = 5 Tesla x 0.15 meters/ 4π x 10-7 = ≈ 500,000 to 600,000 amp turns.

Review your calculations and simulations.

Bob S

1. How does a magnetizer work?

A magnetizer works by aligning the magnetic domains in a material in the same direction, making it magnetic. This is usually done by exposing the material to a strong magnetic field, which causes the domains to line up.

2. What materials can be magnetized?

Materials that can be magnetized include iron, nickel, cobalt, and some alloys. These materials have magnetic properties due to their atomic structure, which allows their magnetic domains to be aligned.

3. Can any object be turned into a magnet?

No, not all objects can be turned into magnets. Only materials that are ferromagnetic, meaning they have magnetic properties, can be turned into magnets. Other materials, such as plastic or wood, cannot be magnetized.

4. Can a magnetizer make a magnet stronger?

Yes, a magnetizer can make a magnet stronger by realigning the magnetic domains in the material. This process is called re-magnetization and can be done multiple times to increase the strength of a magnet.

5. How do you measure the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be measured by using a tool called a gaussmeter. This device measures the magnetic field strength, also known as the magnetic flux density, of a magnet. The higher the gauss reading, the stronger the magnet is.