Induced charges and electrostatic potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effect of induced charges on the inducing charge. Lackos asks if the potential from the induced charge would affect the inducing charge, while Bear clarifies that induced charges are just as real as inducing charges and can require work to move against their electric field. They also mention that electric motors/generators work in a similar way and that some external work is needed to bring the system together in the first place.
lackos
There is one point I am unclear upon in terms of indued charges.

If a charge is induced by another charge, will the potential from the induced charge have an effect on the inducing charge. It seems that if it were the case you would be getting (increasing) energy from nothing, however if it weren't true it seems strange that it would have no effect on the charge as it is still an electric field.

i hope i was clear enough, if not let me know

Lackos

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of 'effect' were you thinking of?

Bear in mind that induced charges are every bit as real charges as the inducing charge.

by effect i mean, would it take work to move the inducing charge against the induced charge's electric field.

by effect i mean, would it take work to move the inducing charge against the induced charge's electric field.

Yes, of course that is how electric motors/generators work.
Of course you have to be careful about the sign of the work since the induced charge and inducing charge have opposite signs.

Yes, the induced charge creates its own fields which effect everything else in the system. However, you don't get energy from nothing, because some external work is being put into being together the system in the first place against these fields.

1. What is an induced charge?

An induced charge is a charge that is created on an object due to the presence of an external electric field. This happens when the electric field causes the charges in the object to redistribute, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges.

2. How is an induced charge different from a static charge?

A static charge is a charge that is stationary on an object, while an induced charge is only present when an external electric field is applied. Static charges can also be created through friction or contact, while induced charges are created solely through the presence of an electric field.

3. What is the relationship between induced charges and electrostatic potential?

When an object is placed in an external electric field, the charges in the object experience a force that causes them to redistribute. This redistribution of charges creates a potential difference between different points on the object, known as electrostatic potential. The magnitude of the induced charge is directly proportional to the electrostatic potential.

4. Can an object have both a static charge and an induced charge?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have both a static charge and an induced charge. This can happen when an object with a static charge is placed in an external electric field, causing an induced charge to form on the object. The two charges will interact with each other and can affect the overall behavior of the object in the electric field.

5. How is the electrostatic potential calculated for a system with induced charges?

The electrostatic potential for a system with induced charges can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the object, and r is the distance from the object. This formula takes into account both the induced charge and the external electric field to determine the electrostatic potential at a certain point.