Free Spectral Range in wavelength

In summary, the FSR of a laser with length L is given by Δv = c/2L and can be calculated in terms of wavelength using the equation Δv/v = Δλ/λ. This equation is an approximation and is only valid when Δv/v is relatively small. When looking at wavelengths around 1000nm, the mode spacing can be found by using the equation (1000 nm)2 * 300 MHz/c.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

The FSR of a laser with length L is given by Δv = c/2L. If I want to find what Δv is in wavelength, then how do I do this? Obviously I need c=vλ, from which we know that Δv/v = Δλ/λ. But the last equation I can't apply to this case, since it refers to errors around some λ/v.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

The FSR of a laser with length L is given by Δv = c/2L. If I want to find what Δv is in wavelength, then how do I do this? Obviously I need c=vλ, from which we know that Δv/v = Δλ/λ. But the last equation I can't apply to this case, since it refers to errors around some λ/v.

Niles.
Errors?

What errors are you referring to?

For example if I have a signal at λ with some width Δλ, then I can find the corresponding width Δv in frequency. But you say that it is applicable? Say that FSR = 3GHz, how would I use Δv/v = Δλ/λ to find Δλ?

Niles said:
For example if I have a signal at λ with some width Δλ, then I can find the corresponding width Δv in frequency. But you say that it is applicable? Say that FSR = 3GHz, how would I use Δv/v = Δλ/λ to find Δλ?
You would need to know either λ or ν .

So you are telling me that the FSR in wavelength-space is not constant? I don't understand how that can be possible. When I say a cavity has a FSR of e.g. 300 MHz, it means the cavity modes are spaced by 300 MHz regardless of the frequency of the modes. So the spacing between mode m and m+1 is 300 MHz.

Now say I want to find the spacing between mode m and m+1 in wavelength. What do I do? Say I know that m is at X GHz and m+1 at Y GHz.

Niles said:
So you are telling me that the FSR in wavelength-space is not constant? I don't understand how that can be possible. When I say a cavity has a FSR of e.g. 300 MHz, it means the cavity modes are spaced by 300 MHz regardless of the frequency of the modes. So the spacing between mode m and m+1 is 300 MHz.

Now say I want to find the spacing between mode m and m+1 in wavelength. What do I do? Say I know that m is at X GHz and m+1 at Y GHz.
If [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\Delta\nu}{\nu}[/itex] is relatively small (and this implies that m is relatively large.), then [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\Delta\nu}{\nu}\approx\frac{ \Delta\lambda}{\lambda}\,.[/itex] And in this case the wavelengths of successive modes are separated by a nearly constant amount.

Take your example of a cavity with FSR (Free Spectral Range) = 300 MHz:
For m = 1, 2, 3, 4; the frequencies are 300, 600, 900, and 1200 MHz, respectively. I.e. they're multiples of 1, 2, 3, 4 time the fundamental cavity frequency. However, the wavelength of the fundamental is 0.9993 meters ≈ 1 m . The wavelengths for m = 1, 2, 3, 4; are 1 m, 0.5 m, 0.3333 m, 0.250 m . These are nowhere near being equally spaced.

However, consider m = 998, 999, 1000, 1001, 1002; The wavelengths for these modes are 1.0013 mm, 1.0003 mm, 0.9993 mm, 0,9983 mm, and 0.9973 mm. Looking at the difference in wavelength from one mode to the next we find 1.0023×10-3 mm, 1.0003×10-3 mm, 0.9983×10-3 mm, 0.99631×10-3 mm.
The spacing changes by about 0.2% per mode when m is near 1000.

Thanks for that, now it is a little more clear. Can I ask how one derives Δv/v = Δλ/λ? As far as I can see from your post, it is only an approximation?

OK, so now I am looking at wavelengths around 1000nm, and I want to find the mode spacing here. The FSR is still 300MHz. So I use Δv/v = Δλ/λ, and we get λ2Δv/c = Δλ. The LHS is

(1000 nm)2 * 300 MHz/c

So this is the FSR in wavelength around 1000nm?Niles.

What is the definition of Free Spectral Range in wavelength?

The free spectral range in wavelength is the difference in wavelength between two adjacent resonant frequencies of an optical cavity or filter. It is often denoted by Δλ or ΔλFSR.

How is Free Spectral Range in wavelength calculated?

The free spectral range in wavelength can be calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the length of the optical cavity or filter. This is expressed by the formula ΔλFSR = c/2nL, where c is the speed of light, n is the refractive index, and L is the length of the cavity or filter.

What is the significance of Free Spectral Range in wavelength?

The free spectral range in wavelength is an important parameter in optical devices, as it determines the spacing between resonant frequencies and the ability to separate or distinguish between them. It also affects the resolution and bandwidth of the device.

How does Free Spectral Range in wavelength differ from Free Spectral Range in frequency?

Free spectral range in wavelength and frequency are related, but not interchangeable. While the free spectral range in wavelength is the difference in wavelength between two adjacent resonant frequencies, the free spectral range in frequency is the difference in frequency between these resonant frequencies. They are related by the formula ΔfFSR = c/2nd, where d is the length of the cavity or filter.

How can the Free Spectral Range in wavelength be adjusted or controlled?

The free spectral range in wavelength can be adjusted by changing the length of the optical cavity or filter, or by adjusting the refractive index of the material. It can also be controlled by using different materials or designing the cavity or filter with specific dimensions to achieve the desired free spectral range.