Statics: System (3D) in equilibrium - determine unknown variables (h)

In summary, a forum member shares their frustration with a statics problem and their attempt at a solution that was deemed incorrect by their TA. They ask for any suggestions or help in finding the correct answer and are advised to double check their equations and calculations and seek help from others if needed.
gate13

Homework Statement

Good day to all. I have been given a problem in statics and a system in equilibrium which in turn is giving me some problems.
I have attached in a pdf file the problem context as well as my attempt at a solution.
I have done so, because I was experience some problems with the formatting. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and for not adhering in a more strict fashion to the forum's expectations.

Homework Equations

Kindly see the pdf file attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

Kindly see the pdf file attached.

As I mention in the file, I was told that my results were wrong by my TA. I was told that the y value should be closer to -0.300. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• question_statics_3d.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem and your attempt at a solution. It seems like you have put a lot of effort into solving this statics problem. I understand that it can be frustrating to receive feedback that your solution is incorrect, especially after putting in a lot of time and effort.

After reviewing your solution, I have a few suggestions that may help you find the correct answer. First, make sure you are using the correct equations for statics. I noticed that you used the equation for torque, but did not include any forces in your solution. Also, double check your calculations to ensure there are no errors. Sometimes, a small mistake in calculation can lead to a significant difference in the final answer.

If you are still having trouble finding the correct answer, I suggest seeking help from your TA or a fellow classmate. They may be able to offer some insight or point out any mistakes in your approach. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help from other scientists and experts in the field of statics.

I wish you the best of luck in solving this problem. Remember to stay persistent and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Science is a collaborative effort and seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

Related to Statics: System (3D) in equilibrium - determine unknown variables (h)

What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects and systems in a state of rest or constant motion. It involves the analysis of forces and torques acting on an object to determine its equilibrium.

What is a system in equilibrium?

A system in equilibrium is a state where all the external forces and torques acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net forces or torques. This means that the object will remain at rest or in constant motion with a constant velocity.

How do you determine unknown variables in statics?

To determine unknown variables in statics, you need to apply the principles of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces and torques acting on an object must be equal to zero. By setting up and solving equations using these principles, you can determine the unknown variables.

What are some common types of forces in statics?

Some common types of forces in statics include gravitational forces, normal forces, frictional forces, tension forces, and shear forces. These forces can act in different directions and magnitudes, and their combination determines the overall equilibrium of a system.

What are some real-world applications of statics?

Statics has many real-world applications, such as in building structures, bridges, and other types of constructions. It is also used in the design of machinery and vehicles, as well as in the analysis of forces acting on the human body. Additionally, statics is essential in understanding the stability and balance of objects in various fields, including physics, engineering, and architecture.