Question about Thevenin Equivalent Vth

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superposition to determine Vth in a circuit with two independent sources. The question of whether or not to use superposition arises, and it is clarified that superposition can be used to simplify the analysis. An example is given where the A and B terminals are in the middle, and it is explained that Vth can still be determined using the equivalent circuit. Another example is presented where Vth is determined using the left side of the circuit, and it is shown that using the 2mA and 2kΩ resistor to determine Vth is not possible due to the second Kirchhoff's law. The final determination of Vth is shown to be 6V using the parallel circuit
Dethrocutionx
Hi guys,

I have a question that is nagging me quite a lot. Let us say that we have a circuit who has two independent sources (any combination of voltage and current sources). In the determination of Vth, can we choose whether or not to use superposition to find this Vth? Because my understanding was that you could use superposition to simplify the analysis or choose to leave both the sources in and find the equivalent voltage. Am I correct?

Thanks guys :).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes you can use superposition to find this Vth voltage.

Thanks! Appreciate it. I have another question related to the determination of Vth. I have an example I am doing where the A and B terminals are in the middle. What does one do to determine this Vth then? Because when the terminals are on the left or the right, it makes sense how we are taking a look at this circuit's inner workings. But the confusion is there when it is in between.

Here's a picture of the problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3tfnt05unozupw/20121207_164124(0).jpg

Well In your diagram A,B terminals are not in the middle.
Because we always can redraw it to this form

attachment.php?attachmentid=53720&stc=1&d=1354924675.jpg

And Vth = - 1mA*1KΩ = -1V and Rth = 1KΩ

Attachments

• bez tytułu.JPG
    bez tytułu.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 579
Dethrocutionx said:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctix99089gdmzqm/20121207_171919.jpg?m

I somewhat understand how we can get Vth to be 6V using the left side of the circuit. Why can't we use the 2mA and the 2kΩ resistor to determine the same Vth?
The answer is that the second Kirchhoff's law doesn't allow us to do so.
Why? I hope that this diagram explains everything

attachment.php?attachmentid=53722&stc=1&d=1354928896.png

As you can see Vth voltage is equal to

Vht = V2 + V3 and also Vth = V1 (In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each of the components is the same)

therefore

Vth = 2mA * 3KΩ = 6V

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 512
That makes perfect sense! Thank you so much :). I truly appreciate it

Related to Question about Thevenin Equivalent Vth

1. What is Thevenin Equivalent Vth?

Thevenin Equivalent Vth is a method used to simplify a complex electrical circuit into a single voltage source and series resistance. It is named after French physicist Léon Charles Thévenin.

2. How is Thevenin Equivalent Vth calculated?

Thevenin Equivalent Vth is calculated by open-circuiting the load terminals of a circuit and finding the voltage across those terminals. This voltage is the Thevenin voltage (Vth). Then, the internal resistance of the circuit is measured by short-circuiting the load terminals and finding the current flowing through the short circuit. This resistance is the Thevenin resistance (Rth). The Thevenin Equivalent Vth is then represented as Vth in series with Rth.

3. What is the purpose of finding Thevenin Equivalent Vth?

Thevenin Equivalent Vth is used to simplify complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and understand. It is also useful in designing circuitry, as it allows for the replacement of a complex circuit with a simpler equivalent circuit without changing the behavior of the original circuit.

4. What are the applications of Thevenin Equivalent Vth?

Thevenin Equivalent Vth is used in various applications in electronics, such as in power supplies, signal processing, and circuit design. It is also used in troubleshooting and testing circuits, as it allows for easier identification of faulty components.

5. How does Thevenin Equivalent Vth relate to Norton Equivalent In?

Thevenin Equivalent Vth and Norton Equivalent In are two equivalent circuit models that can be used interchangeably to analyze a circuit. The main difference between the two is that Thevenin Equivalent Vth represents a voltage source in series with a resistor, while Norton Equivalent In represents a current source in parallel with a resistor. They both have the same voltage-current relationship and can be converted into each other using a simple mathematical transformation.