Candle flicker algorithm and hardware

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of creating battery operated candles that flicker like real candles. The main concern is the lack of knowledge in electrical engineering and the complexity of implementing an algorithm into hardware. The conversation also mentions an article from Nuts&Volts that covers theory and construction of electronic candles, but the link seems to be broken. Another option suggested is to visit the library for more information.
phile
I was looking at some of those battery operated candles that flicker like real candles, and asked myself, "how hard would that be to make?" The main problem being, I have very little knowledge of electrical engineering. Even if I had an algorithm, I wouldn't know how to implement it into hardware.

http://www.jacksonshomeandgarden.com/ledcandles.aspx?gclid=CIyi9Yeyi4YCFQdMGgodB2VAFw

I thought it would be neat to make my own, and just hollow out real candles.
How complex is the problem of creating such a device? Does the hardware have to be made custom for the algorithm?

Where can I start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There was a nice article in Nuts&Volts covering both some theory and construction of electronic candles.

Perhaps their website might have it available.

NoTime said:
There was a nice article in Nuts&Volts covering both some theory and construction of electronic candles.

Perhaps their website might have it available.

Neat, i'll have to check it out. :cool:

It appears the link is broken when I do a search on their site. When I check out the cached page by google, it's just a short paragraph telling the reader that the candle circuitry info is in that particular issue.

phile said:
It appears the link is broken when I do a search on their site. When I check out the cached page by google, it's just a short paragraph telling the reader that the candle circuitry info is in that particular issue.
There is always the library. :smile:

1. What is a candle flicker algorithm and how does it work?

A candle flicker algorithm is a computational method used to simulate the natural flickering behavior of a candle flame. It works by randomly varying the intensity and color of the flame's pixels in a controlled manner, creating the illusion of a real flame.

2. What is the purpose of implementing a candle flicker algorithm in hardware?

The purpose of implementing a candle flicker algorithm in hardware is to create a more realistic and dynamic visual effect. By using specialized hardware, such as microcontrollers or digital signal processors, the algorithm can be executed more efficiently and accurately in real-time.

3. Can the candle flicker algorithm be customized?

Yes, the candle flicker algorithm can be customized to fit specific needs or preferences. Parameters such as the frequency and intensity of flickering, color variations, and patterns can be adjusted to achieve different effects.

4. How is the candle flicker algorithm used in virtual reality or augmented reality?

The candle flicker algorithm can be used in virtual reality or augmented reality to enhance the realism of simulated environments. By incorporating the algorithm into the virtual or augmented environment, it can create a more immersive experience for the user.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with the candle flicker algorithm and hardware implementation?

Some limitations or challenges of implementing the candle flicker algorithm in hardware include the need for specialized hardware and programming expertise. Additionally, the algorithm may not accurately simulate the complex behavior of a real candle flame in certain scenarios.