Probability mass function

In summary, there are three possible outcomes when a signal is sent to a water system. Each gate has a 20% chance of failing to open.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Consider a system of water flowing through valves from A to B as shown in the diagram. Valves 1, 2, and 3 operate independently, and each correctly opens on signal with probability 0.8. Find the probability distribution / probability mass function for Y, the number of open paths from A to B after the signal is given (Note that Y can take on the values 0, 1, and 2.)
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/sta1.JPG

Homework Equations

Probability mass function just means finding the probabilities of all possible outcomes

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the question itself so I can't get anywhere (coloured in red). Does anyone actually understand what is going on in this scenario? I would truly appreciate if somebody can explain it to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start thinking this way:

when water comes in from A, it can go up or down to the different pumps.
If it goes to pump 1 there is some probability the pump operates correctly. If it goes to the bottom of the system, it pump 2 alone can operate, pump 3 alone, or both pump 2 and 3 can operate. Break things down by cases, and remember the simple multiplication and addition rules for probability. You may have to be creative in their use.
Why no more detail from this response? You need to show a little work first.
On the good news side, this type of problem is picky, and you need to watch details, but it isn't super complicated.

Thanks, but do you have any idea what is going on with the "signal" that the problem talks about twice?

And what is the probability that it goes to the bottom of the system? to the top of the system? Both 0.5?

Since there is no information about the signal (no probability information, or indicated source) I take that to mean this: each gate has an [tex] 80\%[/tex] of opening when it should (so a [tex] 20\%[/tex] chance of failing to open to water flow).
And yes, I would also assume (you may want to ask a professor about this, just to be sure) that when water comes in from [tex] A [/tex], there is a [tex] 50-50[/tex] chance that it flows up and down (or, equivalently, 1/2 of it flows up, 1/2 flows down).

What is a probability mass function?

A probability mass function (PMF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a discrete random variable taking on a specific value. It maps each possible value of the random variable to its corresponding probability.

What is the difference between a PMF and a probability density function?

A PMF is used for discrete random variables, while a probability density function (PDF) is used for continuous random variables. This means that a PMF gives the probability of a specific value occurring, while a PDF gives the probability of a range of values occurring.

How do you calculate the expected value of a PMF?

The expected value, or mean, of a PMF is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the random variable by its corresponding probability and summing all of these values together. This can be represented mathematically as E(X) = ∑xP(x).

What is the relationship between a PMF and a cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A PMF and a CDF are both ways of describing the distribution of a random variable. However, while a PMF gives the probability of a specific value occurring, a CDF gives the probability of a value less than or equal to a given value occurring. The CDF can be derived from the PMF by summing the probabilities up to a certain value.

How is a PMF used in practical applications?

PMFs are used in many fields, such as statistics, physics, and engineering, to model and analyze data. They can be used to make predictions about the likelihood of certain events occurring, and they are also used in hypothesis testing to determine the significance of observed data. PMFs are also often used in simulations and computer modeling to generate random values for experiments or simulations.