Variation of Parameters - Higher order DE

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine a particular solution for a homogeneous equation. One person suggests using variation of parameters, while the other suggests guessing a solution of the form ax^4. After some trial and error, they determine that the solution is x^4/15. It is mentioned that in this case, guessing a solution was easier than using variation of parameters.
Wellesley

Homework Statement

Given that x, x2 and 1/x are solutions of the homogeneous equation corresponding to:

[tex]
x^3y''' + x^2y''-2xy'+2y=2x^4
[/tex]

x>0
determine a particular solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to solve this problem using three simultaneous equations:

[tex]
u_1'x + u_2'x^2 + u_3'*(1/x) = 0
[/tex]

[tex]u_1' + 2u_2'x - u_3'x^{-2}= 0[/tex]

[tex]2u_2' + 2u_3'x^{-3}= 2x^4[/tex]

Then, when I try and solve for u1, u2 and u3, I seem to doing it incorrectly, the wrong answer. I've come back to this problem several times over the last three days, and all that has changed were the answers I'm getting! Should I be trying a different method in solving this problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Variation of parameters is the hard way. The easy way is to try and guess a solution. I'm guessing that there is a solution of the form a*x^4. Do you see why?

Thanks for the response.

I do see what you are saying about the guess, and it works. ax4 comes from 2x4. Plugging in the derivatives of ax4 into the original equation, you can solve for a...a=1/15 so the answer is x4/15 which is the right answer.

Will this process be okay for a homework problem in the variation of parameters chapter? I just don't want to get marked down for not using the 'correct' method. When would you use the variation of parameters?

Last edited:
Wellesley said:
Thanks for the response.

I do see what you are saying about the guess, and it works. ax4 comes from 2x4. Plugging in the derivatives of ax4 into the original equation, you can solve for a. a=1/15 so the answer is x4/15 which is the right answer.

Will this process be okay for a homework problem in the variation of parameters chapter? I just don't want to get marked down for not using the 'correct' method.

Hard to say. But if they say 'use variation of parameters' then I guess you had better use variation of parameters.

Dick said:
Hard to say. But if they say 'use variation of parameters' then I guess you had better use variation of parameters.

Well, the problem just says to determine a particular solution. They didn't say which method to use, like they did on other problems so I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the help!

BTW the your variation of parameters was going wrong because in the technique the coefficient of the highest derivative should be 1. You should have divided both sides of the ODE by x^3 before you started. So the 2*x^4 in your last equation should be 2x. Then it will work.

Dick said:
BTW the your variation of parameters was going wrong because in the technique the coefficient of the highest derivative should be 1. You should have divided both sides of the ODE by x^3 before you started. So the 2*x^4 in your last equation should be 2x. Then it will work.

Thanks! I knew something was going wrong but I didn't know where.

What is variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters is a method used to find particular solutions to higher order differential equations. It involves finding a general solution to the homogeneous equation and then finding a particular solution by varying the coefficients in the general solution.

When is variation of parameters used?

Variation of parameters is used when solving nonhomogeneous higher order differential equations, where the right-hand side of the equation is a function of the independent variable. It is also used when the method of undetermined coefficients is not applicable.

What are the steps involved in using variation of parameters?

The steps involved in using variation of parameters are:

1. Find the general solution to the homogeneous equation.
  2. Find the Wronskian of the homogeneous solutions.
  3. Set up a system of equations using the Wronskian and the nonhomogeneous terms.
  4. Solve the system of equations to find the coefficients of the particular solution.
  5. Add the particular solution to the general solution to get the complete solution.

What are the limitations of variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters is only applicable to nonhomogeneous equations with constant coefficients. It cannot be used for equations with variable coefficients or for equations with non-constant nonhomogeneous terms.

Can variation of parameters be used for initial value problems?

Yes, variation of parameters can be used to find the solution to initial value problems. The particular solution obtained using this method can be used to satisfy the initial conditions of the equation.