Sampling Rates & Fourier Transforms: Investigating a Spike

In summary, the appearance of a spike in the power spectrum of a waveform depends on the Nyquist frequency, with a lower sample rate resulting in a wider frequency bin and a higher sample rate resulting in a narrower frequency bin. The original waveform vs time will not change with different sample rates as long as the Nyquist frequency is not exceeded, but aliasing can occur if the Nyquist frequency is exceeded.
cscott

Homework Statement

Say I have a spike at some frequency from a Fourier transform (power spectrum) of a waveform that I'm sampling (sine wave at 10Hz in this case). If I decrease the sample rate what should happen to the appearance of the spike? What about increasing the sample rate? What about the appearance of the original waveform vs time

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have thought with a lower sample rate the sine wave would widen? Not sure about the FT plot.

I have written down from the lab that the spike widens (from the FT plot) with higher sampling rate and thins out for lower simpling rate.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The appearance of the spike in the power spectrum will depend on the Nyquist frequency, which is half the sampling rate. If the frequency of the sine wave (10Hz) is below the Nyquist frequency, then the spike will still be present and will appear wider with a lower sample rate. This is because a lower sample rate means that fewer data points are being used to calculate the Fourier transform, resulting in a wider frequency bin for the spike.

On the other hand, if the frequency of the sine wave is above the Nyquist frequency, then aliasing will occur and the spike will not be present in the power spectrum. Instead, it will show up at a different frequency, which can make it difficult to interpret the data accurately.

Increasing the sample rate will result in a narrower frequency bin for the spike in the power spectrum. This is because more data points are being used to calculate the Fourier transform, allowing for a more precise measurement of the frequency.

The appearance of the original waveform vs time will not change with different sample rates, as long as the Nyquist frequency is not exceeded. However, if the Nyquist frequency is exceeded, then the waveform will appear distorted due to aliasing.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between sample rate, power spectrum, and the original waveform. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Scientist

Related to Sampling Rates & Fourier Transforms: Investigating a Spike

1. What is the purpose of using sampling rates in data analysis?

The purpose of using sampling rates in data analysis is to convert continuous signals into discrete data points. This allows for easier analysis and processing of the data, as well as reducing the amount of data that needs to be stored.

2. How is the sampling rate determined for a given data set?

The sampling rate is typically determined based on the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, which states that the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency present in the signal in order to accurately reconstruct the original signal. It can also be determined based on the specific needs and goals of the analysis being performed.

3. What is the relationship between sampling rate and frequency resolution?

The relationship between sampling rate and frequency resolution is inverse - as the sampling rate increases, the frequency resolution decreases. This means that a higher sampling rate allows for better representation of high frequency components, but at the cost of lower frequency resolution.

4. How does Fourier transform help in analyzing a spike in a data set?

Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that allows for the decomposition of a signal into its component frequencies. This can be helpful in analyzing a spike in a data set because it can reveal the frequency content of the spike and provide insight into the underlying cause or nature of the spike.

5. Can sampling rate and Fourier transform be used on any type of data?

Sampling rate and Fourier transform can be used on most types of data, as long as the data is in a numerical form. However, the effectiveness and accuracy of these tools may vary depending on the type of data and the specific analysis being performed.