Finding value for time from equation (DIFFICULT)

• Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Value
In summary, the equation for finding value for time is Value = (Total Earnings - Total Costs)/Time. To solve for time in the equation, you would rearrange the equation to isolate the variable "Time" on one side. The purpose of finding value for time is to determine the amount of money or resources that can be generated within a specific period of time, in order to make effective decisions on resource allocation. The value for time is affected by factors such as process efficiency, resource availability, external market factors, and individual skills. And finally, the value for time can change over time due to changes in external factors and individual circumstances.
andrey21
Find the time takes skydiver to hit the ground using th following:

y = (t/SQRT(10) - 2ln(1+e^(t/SQRT(10)) - C) x 20SQRT10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have tried many times to find value for t with little success help needed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamiey1988 said:
Find the time takes skydiver to hit the ground using th following:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have tried many times to find value for t with little success help needed!
So you want to solve
[tex]20\sqrt{10}(\frac{t}{\sqrt{10}}- 2ln(1+ e^{\frac{t}{\sqrt{10}}})- C)= 0[/tex]

I would start by doing two things: divide both sides by [itex]20\sqrt{10}[/itex] and replace [itex]t/\sqrt{10}[/itex] by "u". Now the equation is
[tex]u- 2ln(1+ e^u)- C= 0[/tex]

Of course, you can't get a specific numerical result without a specic value for C. Even then I suspect that there will be no solution in terms of elementary functions.

Okay well I derived the solution stated from the following:

y' = 20SQRT10 x (1-e^(t/SQRT10))/(1+e(t/SQRT10))

Where C is a constant of integration, is this correct? Becasue the question looks as if a specific numerical value must be found.

Anymore comments help needed please!

Jamiey1988 said:
Okay well I derived the solution stated from the following:

Where C is a constant of integration, is this correct? Becasue the question looks as if a specific numerical value must be found.
Why would you take the derivative?

The skydiver will be on the ground at the time when y = 0 in the equation in your first post. That's what HallsOfIvy was telling you in his reply. Did you read it?

Since no integration has apparently been done, C is not a constant of integration. Is there any other information in your problem that you haven't posted?

Well in order to obtain the equation :

I had to use separation of variables and integration on the following:

Which is the reason for the constant of integration C, try it yourself and see if you come up with the same solution as me. Only other information is that at y(0) = 4000.

Thanks

Jamiey1988 said:
Well in order to obtain the equation :

I had to use separation of variables and integration on the following:

Which is the reason for the constant of integration C, try it yourself and see if you come up with the same solution as me. Only other information is that at y(0) = 4000.

Thanks
There's a reason for the three parts in the problem template, of which the first is the complete problem statement and all pertinent data. As you presented the problem, there was no indication that you were solving a differential equation. You should also have included the initial condition, y(0) = 4000, since that has to be used to find C.

Okay that was my fault but have you had a go at finding a sloution from the equation stated? I am just curious as I spent a lot of time on this question and want to know if correct or not?

I don't have time right now to check your work, but you can do that. Take your solution y(t) and differentiate it. If you don't get 20sqrt(10)(1 -e^(t/sqrt(10))/(1 + e^(t/sqrt(10)), your solution is incorrect.

What is the equation for finding value for time?

The equation for finding value for time is Value = (Total Earnings - Total Costs)/Time.

How do you solve for time in the equation?

To solve for time in the equation, you would rearrange the equation to isolate the variable "Time" on one side. This can be done by multiplying both sides of the equation by Time and then dividing both sides by (Total Earnings - Total Costs).

What is the purpose of finding value for time?

The purpose of finding value for time is to determine the amount of money or resources that can be generated within a specific period of time. This can help individuals or businesses make decisions on how to allocate their time and resources effectively.

What factors affect the value for time?

The value for time is affected by various factors such as the efficiency of processes, the availability of resources, external factors like market demand and competition, and individual skills and capabilities.

Can the value for time change over time?

Yes, the value for time can change over time. This is because external factors and individual circumstances can change, which can affect the efficiency and productivity of processes and the availability of resources. Additionally, as individuals acquire new skills and improve their capabilities, their value for time may also increase.