Understanding the Forces on Bows in Archery: A Materials Selection Analysis

• Thread starter jackimini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: This is to prevent the bow from breaking. I wasn't sure where to post my question, but its for my materials selection course... (please forgive me if I posted in the wrong place :)In summary, the author is researching how the forces on a bow are loaded and is looking for information on an FEA of a bow. She has found a site with mention of materials but is looking for more information.
jackimini
I wasn't sure where to post my question, but its for my materials selection course... (please forgive me if I posted in the wrong place :)

I'm doing a research project on the materials used for bows in general (longbows and recurves mostly), and I've been having trouble finding information on how the forces on a bow are loaded. I do have an actual bow to work with, but it would be really helpful if I could find some info about how they are loaded during use. My colleagues and I aren't exactly experienced with archery, so aside from the obvious bending and tension stresses, we aren't sure what else goes on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well there is obviously tension in the string and in the bow structure, there is tension on the foward surfaces, compression on the backside, and bending/shearing of varying magnitude along the length of the bow.

I would have thought that someone would publish an FEA of a bow, but I haven't found one.

Here's a site with some mention of materials.
http://www.bowstick.com/mongolian.html

Somewhere I have some additional information. I just have to find it. :rolleyes:

Oh awesome! Thanks :)

article that may interest you:
Shape optimization of a bow
M. Pagitz & K.U. Bletzinger1
Journal Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization
Jul 2004 28:1 p73-78

AFAIK there is no finite element analysis in the field of archery except for compound bows. Bear (company name) claims they used FEA to enhance their equipment, for example. http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/

I would guess everybody thinks it has been done before, just like Astronuc clearly does. Might make a great publication, there Astronuc. Assuming it isn't an overwhelming task.

I would imagine that if FEA has been done on a bow, it is proprietary. If one has a good or bad design, one does not wish to share that information with competitors.

I was doing some research some months ago on Mongolian bows, after reading that the Mongols had significant advantage over the tribes they invaded because their arrows had greater range.

There are numerous companies that manufacture Mongolian bows from modern materials.

The geographical variations in bows are interesting. Esssentially, the recurve bow requires a composite material that's good in compression on one side (often made of bone) and good in tension on the other side (often made of leather). In a cool, wet climate, such as the U.K, that's not a viable solution (wet leather isn't goood in tension) and so recurve bows were most common in mediterranean or middle eastern countries. English merchant ships were compelled, by law, to bring back a consignment of Spanish yew on their trading voyages, specifically for the manufacture of 'English' longbows.

JE Gordon, who was mentioned on another thread and who was a one-time acquaintance of mine, goes into this in his book "Structures - or why you don't fall through the floor".

Modern bows are often designed to have a draw force that reduces as the deformation increases, i.e to be 'soft' nonlinear springs.

1. What is the purpose of a bow in archery?

A bow is a tool used in archery to launch arrows at a target with force and accuracy. It allows the archer to store energy in the limbs of the bow, which is then transferred to the arrow upon release.

2. What are the main forces acting on a bow during the archery process?

The main forces acting on a bow are tension and compression. Tension is created by pulling the string back, while compression is created by the bending of the bow limbs. These forces work together to give the arrow the necessary speed and direction.

3. How does the draw weight of a bow affect the forces on the bow?

The draw weight of a bow refers to the amount of force required to pull the string back to its full draw length. The higher the draw weight, the more force is exerted on the bow limbs, resulting in a faster and more powerful shot.

4. What happens to the forces on the bow as the arrow is released?

As the arrow is released, the forces on the bow are quickly released as well. The stored energy in the bow limbs is transferred to the arrow, propelling it forward towards the target. This results in a sudden decrease in tension and compression on the bow.

5. How do different types of bows affect the forces on the bow?

The design and materials of a bow can greatly affect the forces on the bow. For example, a recurve bow has shorter limbs, resulting in a shorter draw length and less tension and compression compared to a longbow. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of the bow can affect its flexibility and overall strength, thus influencing the forces acting on it.