Differential Equation Rate of decay problem

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the given conversation discusses a chemical reaction where the rate of conversion of the first chemical is proportional to its amount present at any time. The initial amount of the first chemical is calculated by using the given information about the amount remaining after 1 hour and 3 hours. The solution involves using the equation x = x0e^(-kt) and solving for the initial amount using the value of k = -ln(1/2)/2 ≈ 0.3466. The final answer for the initial amount of the first chemical is approximately 60.24 grams.
clope023

Homework Statement

A chemical reaction converts a certain chemical into another chemical, and the rate at which the 1st chemical is converted is proportional to the amount of of this chemical present at any time. At the end of 1 hour, 50g of the 1st chemical remain; while at the end of 3 hours only 25g remain.

a) how many grams of the 1st chemical were present initially?

Homework Equations

dx/dt = -kx

x(0) = x0
x(1) = 50g
x(3) = 25g

int[dx/x = -kdt] -> ln(x) = -kt + c

x = ce^(-kt)

x(0) = x0 -> x0 = C(1), x = x0e^(-kt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty much stuck where I ended the relevant equations, I'm not sure what to do to get x0 by itself, I tried plugging in the 1st hour value which got me

50 = x0e^(-k), but I need to solve for k or the value of e^(-k) before I can solve for x0, which I could do easily by taking e^(-k)/50 and then I could solve the rest of the problem; any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh and if th3plan is reading this, thanks for the help in the other thread I made.

Physics news on Phys.org

You are on the right track with your equations and attempts at solving for the initial amount of the first chemical. To solve for the initial amount, we need to use the given information about the amount of chemical remaining at the end of 1 hour and 3 hours.

From the given information, we know that x(1) = 50g and x(3) = 25g. Plugging these values into the equation x = x0e^(-kt), we get:

50 = x0e^(-k) and 25 = x0e^(-3k)

Now, we can divide the second equation by the first equation to eliminate x0:

25/50 = x0e^(-3k)/x0e^(-k)

1/2 = e^(-2k)

Taking the natural log of both sides, we get:

ln(1/2) = -2k

Solving for k, we get:

k = -ln(1/2)/2 ≈ 0.3466

Now, we can plug this value of k back into the first equation to solve for x0:

50 = x0e^(-0.3466)

x0 = 50/e^(-0.3466) ≈ 60.24g

Therefore, the initial amount of the first chemical was approximately 60.24 grams.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your studies.

1. What is a differential equation rate of decay problem?

A differential equation rate of decay problem involves modeling the rate of change of a quantity over time, typically in the context of decay or growth. It is a mathematical tool used to describe and predict the behavior of a system over time.

2. How do you solve a differential equation rate of decay problem?

To solve a differential equation rate of decay problem, you need to first determine the type of decay (exponential, logarithmic, etc.) and then use the appropriate mathematical technique to solve the equation. This may involve integration, separation of variables, or other methods.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential equation rate of decay problems?

Differential equation rate of decay problems can be used to model a wide range of phenomena, such as radioactive decay, population growth or decline, chemical reactions, and more. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering.

4. Can you provide an example of a differential equation rate of decay problem?

One example of a differential equation rate of decay problem is the radioactive decay of a substance. The rate of decay is proportional to the amount of the substance present, and can be modeled using the differential equation dN/dt = -kN, where N is the amount of substance, t is time, and k is a constant representing the rate of decay.

5. How important are differential equation rate of decay problems in scientific research?

Differential equation rate of decay problems are essential in scientific research as they provide a quantitative and predictive framework for understanding natural processes. They allow scientists to make accurate predictions and gain insights into the behavior of complex systems, making them a critical tool in many fields of study.