What went wrong with my simple differential equation?

In summary: I thought the problem was that you needed to find the c_0 of the exponent term.I guess I got confused. I thought the problem was that you needed to find the c_0 of the exponent term.
Vriska

Homework Statement

[/B]
dy/dt = c - ky

Homework Equations

integral 1/y dy = ln(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

let y = c/k + z

dy/dt = dz/dt = -kz

dz/z = -kdt

ln(z) = - kt

z = e^(-kt)

but z = y - c/k

y = e^(-kt) + c/k + cons.

answer should have been negative sign on the e term. I can't find anything wrong and I've been at it for the past hour :/

Physics news on Phys.org
The only error I have found is, that your constant is wrong. It has to be ##y=\dfrac{c}{k} + c_0e^{-kt}## and that ##\int \dfrac{dz}{z} = \log |z|##. So the sign depends on initial conditions.

fresh_42 said:
The only error I have found is, that your constant is wrong. It has to be ##y=\dfrac{c}{k} + c_0e^{-kt}## and that ##\int \dfrac{dz}{z} = \log |z|##. So the sign depends on initial conditions.

? this is new to me, how did you get the c_0 on the exponent term??

This is not new to you, I bet. You have
$$
\int \dfrac{dz}{z} = -k \int dt \Longrightarrow \log|z| + C_1 = -kt +C_2 \longrightarrow |z|=\exp(-kt + C_3) = e^{C_3}\cdot \exp(-kt) = c_0e^{-kt}
$$

fresh_42 said:
This is not new to you, I bet. You have
$$
\int \dfrac{dz}{z} = -k \int dt \Longrightarrow \log|z| + C_1 = -kt +C_2 \longrightarrow |z|=\exp(-kt + C_3) = e^{C_3}\cdot \exp(-kt) = c_0e^{-kt}
$$

haha, damn, that was real neat . Thanks!

I get something different: $$y=y(0)e^{-kt}+\frac{c}{k}(1-e^{-kt})$$

Chestermiller said:
I get something different: $$y=y(0)e^{-kt}+\frac{c}{k}(1-e^{-kt})$$

That's not really all that different is it? That's just what you get after you solve for ##c_0## in terms of ##y(0)##.

Dick said:
That's not really all that different is it? That's just what you get after you solve for ##c_0## in terms of ##y(0)##.
I guess I got confused.

1. What are some common mistakes when solving a simple differential equation?

Some common mistakes when solving a simple differential equation include forgetting to account for all initial conditions, making algebraic errors, and using the wrong method or formula for the given equation.

2. How do I know if I have solved a differential equation correctly?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can compare your solution to known solutions or use software to graph and visualize the solution.

3. Why does my solution to a differential equation include arbitrary constants?

Most differential equations have an infinite number of solutions, so when solving for the general solution, it will include arbitrary constants. These constants can be solved for using initial conditions to find the particular solution for a specific scenario.

4. What should I do if I cannot solve a differential equation?

If you are unable to solve a differential equation, you can try using numerical methods or software to approximate a solution. You can also consult with other mathematicians or experts in the field for guidance and assistance.

5. Can I use the same method to solve all differential equations?

No, different types of differential equations may require different methods or formulas to solve them. It is important to understand the characteristics and properties of a differential equation before determining the appropriate method to use.