Find a basis for the subspace of M2,2

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a math problem and receiving hints to solve it. They are advised to multiply matrices and solve for the variables. The question of independence of the equations is also mentioned. The number of independent variables needed to solve the problem is also discussed.
Xingconan

Homework Statement

24erihw.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to do this, so I hope someone can give some hints or briefly tell me what I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a good start is to write
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a_{11} & a_{12} \\ a_{21} & a_{22}\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ -1 & -1\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{array}\right][/tex]

Multiply them out and get 4 equations relating a11, a12, a21, and a22. Are those equations independent? If not how many "independent" variables do you have (in other words, how many must you know in order to be able to calculate the others?).

1. What is a basis for a subspace?

A basis for a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that all vectors in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a subspace?

To find a basis for a subspace, you can use the row reduction method to reduce the subspace's matrix representation to its reduced row echelon form. The nonzero rows in this form will be the basis vectors for the subspace.

3. What is the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of vectors in a basis for that subspace. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors needed to span the subspace.

4. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of bases. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace.

5. Why is finding a basis important for a subspace?

Finding a basis for a subspace is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the subspace. It also allows us to easily perform calculations and operations on vectors within that subspace.