House electrical lines AC voltage are forming sinusoidal waveform

• Thread starter muet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveform
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of sinusoidal waveforms in AC voltage in all customers or house electrical lines and the use of oscilloscopes to measure these waveforms. It also cautions against attempting to measure AC Mains voltages without proper knowledge and expertise. The conversation also mentions the use of inverters to convert lower voltages to power supply voltages and the need to consult experts or electricians for assistance. There are two types of oscilloscopes: analog and digital, with digital scopes being more widely used due to their additional features and advantages.
muet
Hello

I want to ask that in all customers or house electrical lines AC voltage are forming sinusoidal waveform.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3859/voltagewavwform.jpg

This kind of waveform exists or not, if exists, so in were?
And can we check waveform of any voltages or currents, which device show that,

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The device which used to measure signals in voltage forms is oscilloscopes. On the simplest level, an oscilloscope has a pair of terminals for connecting the voltage to be measured and a display, which produces a graph of the voltage as a function of time.
There are two different types of oscilloscopes: analog and digital. Although analog oscilloscopes are still available, because of the additional features and many other advantages, digital scopes are widely used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

muet said:
Hello

I want to ask that in all customers or house electrical lines AC voltage are forming sinusoidal waveform.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3859/voltagewavwform.jpg

This kind of waveform exists or not, if exists, so in were?
And can we check waveform of any voltages or currents, which device show that,

In addition to m.s.j.'s reply, I need to caution you about trying to measure the AC Mains voltages. Those voltages are extremely hazardous, especially if you do not have a lot of experience (which it sounds like you do not, based on your post). If you use an oscilloscope, you MUST understand what you are doing, since most oscilloscopes are grounded instruments, and you can short the AC Mains to ground if you connect it up incorrectly.

Even if you are using a hand-held digital multimeter (DMM) to measure the amplitude of the AC Mains voltage, there is still a significant shock hazard if you are not careful.

I would recommend that you consult a local expert or electrician to help answer your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That waveform would not normally be found on power supplies to a house, but something similar could be found on the output of an inverter.

An inverter converts a lower voltage (like 12 or 24 Volts DC ) to something like the power supply voltage to run low powered mains devices from 12 or 24 volts.

Such inverters can run devices like shavers where the exact waveform does not matter too much. Ideally the waveform should be a sinewave, but cheaper inverters might produce a rough approximation of a sinewave.

And, yes, you would observe the waveform (carefully ! ) with an oscilloscope.

berkeman said:
In addition to m.s.j.'s reply, I need to caution you about trying to measure the AC Mains voltages. Those voltages are extremely hazardous, especially if you do not have a lot of experience (which it sounds like you do not, based on your post). If you use an oscilloscope, you MUST understand what you are doing, since most oscilloscopes are grounded instruments, and you can short the AC Mains to ground if you connect it up incorrectly.

Even if you are using a hand-held digital multimeter (DMM) to measure the amplitude of the AC Mains voltage, there is still a significant shock hazard if you are not careful.

I would recommend that you consult a local expert or electrician to help answer your questions.

Dear berkeman,

Thank you very much, your important caution shame me, I had just theoretical look-see to subject, that caution should be given by me.

BEST REGARDS
M.S.J

1. What is a sinusoidal waveform?

A sinusoidal waveform is a type of electrical signal that varies in a smooth, repetitive pattern resembling a sine wave. It is commonly used to describe the shape of alternating current (AC) voltage in house electrical lines.

2. How is a sinusoidal waveform formed in house electrical lines?

A sinusoidal waveform is formed in house electrical lines by the alternating current (AC) voltage. This voltage is produced by power plants and delivered to homes through electrical lines. The AC voltage is constantly changing direction, resulting in a smooth, repetitive pattern known as a sinusoidal waveform.

3. What is the purpose of having a sinusoidal waveform in house electrical lines?

The purpose of having a sinusoidal waveform in house electrical lines is to efficiently transfer electrical energy from power plants to homes. The smooth, repetitive pattern allows for a more stable and consistent flow of electricity, which is necessary for the proper functioning of electrical devices.

4. Are there any risks associated with the sinusoidal waveform in house electrical lines?

The sinusoidal waveform in house electrical lines is the standard for delivering electricity to homes and is generally considered safe. However, it is important to use caution when working with electrical devices and to follow proper safety protocols to avoid any potential risks.

5. Can the sinusoidal waveform in house electrical lines be altered or changed?

The sinusoidal waveform in house electrical lines is a natural result of the alternating current (AC) voltage and cannot be altered or changed without converting it to a different type of electrical signal. Any attempts to manipulate the waveform could potentially cause damage to electrical devices or pose safety hazards.