Understanding Household Electrical Service Lines and Safety Precautions

In summary, the conversation is about the dangers of working with 220 V, 60 Hz sources in household outlets. The individual has four questions about terminology and safety precautions related to working with these sources. It is emphasized that touching any part of the AC mains wiring can result in electrocution and it is recommended to seek the help of a qualified electrician or experienced person.
nicy12
Pardon me if I stated the title incorrectly/ informally. I just want to say about the title is about the 220 V, 60 Hz source (present in our outlets also) in our house by which comes from nearby electrical post.

I have four questions in this post/thread so kindly tell me if I need to edit this so it should contain one (1) question only and write another post/thread for my other questions.

1. What should I call on that 220 V? Service voltage? Secondary Line Voltage??
2. What is the difference in they what-so-called "Primary Line" and "Secondary Line"?
3. How do I know if the wires passing above me (when I look up/above in the street) is "Primary Line" and "Secondary Line" ?
4. If the 220 V has 2 wires in it and one wire was touched, Do I feel electrocuted? (our outlet has 2 wires, if i split it and touched one of its wire, can I be electrocuted?)

Thank You So Much. This is my first post/thread other than my introduction thread.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you touch either wire, you will get electrocuted because your body completes the circuit to ground.. You 'might' not get killed but it will certainly feel like it.

This thread sounds fishy to me. Someone planning to steal power in a country outside the USA?

nicy12 said:
Pardon me if I stated the title incorrectly/ informally. I just want to say about the title is about the 220 V, 60 Hz source (present in our outlets also) in our house by which comes from nearby electrical post.

I have four questions in this post/thread so kindly tell me if I need to edit this so it should contain one (1) question only and write another post/thread for my other questions.

1. What should I call on that 220 V? Service voltage? Secondary Line Voltage??
2. What is the difference in they what-so-called "Primary Line" and "Secondary Line"?
3. How do I know if the wires passing above me (when I look up/above in the street) is "Primary Line" and "Secondary Line" ?
4. If the 220 V has 2 wires in it and one wire was touched, Do I feel electrocuted? (our outlet has 2 wires, if i split it and touched one of its wire, can I be electrocuted?)

Thank You So Much. This is my first post/thread other than my introduction thread.

Welcome to the PF. :)

We do not allow discussions of dangerous or illegal activities, so this thread may get closed at some point. Please do not be touching any of the AC Mains wiring, and do not try to get around the electric utility meter.

Now, to try to answer some of your questions, have a look at these links:

Electric Wiring -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

AC Mains Power Distribution -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

Let us know if you have specific questions about those links.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :)

We do not allow discussions of dangerous or illegal activities, so this thread may get closed at some point. Please do not be touching any of the AC Mains wiring, and do not try to get around the electric utility meter.

Now, to try to answer some of your questions, have a look at these links:

Electric Wiring -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

AC Mains Power Distribution -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

Let us know if you have specific questions about those links.

I don't want to touch the mains either. I made an image from paint to emphasize my question about electrocution:
Copy of socket.jpg

If I am going to splice A to B bare-handed without pulling out the mains (as shown above), do I be electrocuted? (Some says to me that I won't be electrocuted because the voltage present at A is just 110 VAC) please answer just on experience or theory. I don't want to try it because I assume it is dangerous so shouldn't try it also. thanks

nicy12 said:
I don't want to touch the mains either. I made an image from paint to emphasize my question about electrocution:
View attachment 77388

If I am going to splice A to B bare-handed without pulling out the mains (as shown above), do I be electrocuted? (Some says to me that I won't be electrocuted because the voltage present at A is just 110 VAC) please answer just on experience or theory. I don't want to try it because I assume it is dangerous so shouldn't try it also. thanks
ALWAYS turn off the power before working on a circuit. 110 volt wall current is still strong enough to kill you in the right situation (like standing in a puddle of water). Whoever is telling you that you won't get electrocuted is full of crap (this really sounds like two kids daring each other). Again, if you touch either of the live wires, you're going to regret it. Turn the power off before you work on it - better yet, get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

Do not try --- akin to playing in the street, you can do it but it can kill you. And yes 110V can kill you. As for your picture - just pull the plug! haha

Get a qualified electrician or an experienced electrical handyman to help you with your task. We cannot help such an inexperienced person here. Do not do this, especially with the power still turned on. And when you get an experienced person to help you with this, they will show you that there is a very important polarity consideration in wiring AC mains to a light bulb fixture. Thread closed as too dangerous.

Related to Understanding Household Electrical Service Lines and Safety Precautions

1. What is a home electrical service line?

A home electrical service line is the underground or overhead cable that connects the electric utility's power source to your home's electrical panel. It is responsible for delivering electricity to your home.

2. How is a home electrical service line installed?

The installation process for a home electrical service line involves digging a trench from the utility's power source to your home, laying the cable in the trench, and connecting it to your home's electrical panel. This should only be done by a licensed electrician to ensure safety and proper installation.

3. What is the typical lifespan of a home electrical service line?

The average lifespan of a home electrical service line is between 25-40 years. However, this can vary depending on factors such as weather conditions, maintenance, and the type of cable used.

4. How do I know if there is an issue with my home electrical service line?

Common signs of an issue with your home electrical service line include flickering lights, frequent tripped circuit breakers, and burning smells. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to contact a licensed electrician to inspect and repair the issue.

5. Can I replace my home electrical service line myself?

No, it is not recommended to replace your home electrical service line yourself. This should be done by a licensed electrician who has the knowledge and experience to safely and correctly install the cable and ensure it meets all safety codes and regulations.