Pursuing Mathematics: Is It for Me? - Orson Adams

• Thread starter threetheoreom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation revolves around whether the speaker, a senior in high school, should pursue higher mathematics or not. They express their interest in algebra, probability, and logic, but also their doubts about their abilities and financial situation. Others in the conversation provide advice and suggest looking into scholarships and pursuing other related fields such as computer science or history and philosophy of mathematics. The speaker also mentions their interest in problem solving and lateral thinking.
threetheoreom
Hi all,

I need help...

This Is my circumstance..
I am a senior in high school and I not your best math student...but i am not bad at math I just feel i have not accomplished as much as i should have. Anyway i would like to study higher mathematics in and I am wondering if I should..

This Where i am at in my studies.. a work on problems quite often and i mean not homework ..math that i haven't done i school, I read a lot of math history ( read: rainbow of math and such) i am working on a paper about counting and human logic, also I'm interested in algebra probability and logic ( for the little that i know). I believe mathematics is a entity that has to be found just as the (now) mystics of the physical universe.

My problem is sometimes i doubt myself about having a researcher career in mathematics, because i feel i wouldn't be adding any to the field and secondly my parents are poor so i have to work and attend school, also because i have started to enjoy math at this late age and haven't any relative mathematical ancestry, you know math background.:frown:

Please Answer this pertinent Question

Should I study Mathematics, what are my chances in this field, if i shouldn't what would be a nice related field?

I'm confused.

thank you all

Orson Adams

Physics news on Phys.org
work hard, try your best, you can't go wrong

ice109 said:
work hard, try your best, you can't go wrong

thanks for you reply ice109

None of your concerns will really preclude you from doing well at math. Take math classes at the university, and if you do well and enjoy them keep at it. Just keep in mind that at most universities there's a big difference between lower division math classes (which are geared primarily towards engineers and scientists) and upper division math classes (which are geared primarily towards mathematicians). If you decide later on in your undergrad career that math isn't really to your liking, then you'll be well prepared to switch to just about any scientific or techincal program.

About the financial problem, if your parents are poor, then you don't necessarily need to work while attending college. There is a variety of scholarships that are probably available to you. My best friend from college came from a poor family. In late high school he applied to every scholarship he could find. Ultimately, he ended up making a couple thousand dollars a semester just to go to school. You might want to look into this.

If you're interested in the history and philosophy of mathematics you could always study history and philosophy...

What are your other interests?

oedipa maas said:
If you're interested in the history and philosophy of mathematics you could always study history and philosophy...

What are your other interests?

Well to be frank I'm incredibily focused on problem solving, but math history and logic increases my appreciation for the science.

I find computer science quite interesting, mustly because of the lateral thinking,
thats it for now

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

1. What is mathematics?

Mathematics is the study of numbers, quantity, and space, as well as their relationships and operations. It is a fundamental branch of science that has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science.

2. Is mathematics a difficult subject?

Mathematics can be challenging for some people, but with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and excel in it. It requires logical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a strong foundation in basic concepts.

3. What skills do I need to pursue mathematics?

To pursue mathematics, you need to have a strong foundation in basic math skills such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. You should also have good critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as a passion for learning and exploring new concepts.

4. What are the career opportunities in mathematics?

There are numerous career opportunities for those with a background in mathematics. Some common career paths include data analysis, actuarial science, teaching, research, and finance. Mathematics also provides a strong foundation for other fields such as computer science and engineering.

5. How can I determine if mathematics is the right path for me?

If you enjoy solving challenging problems, have a natural curiosity for numbers and patterns, and have a strong aptitude for math, then pursuing mathematics may be a good fit for you. It is also essential to research different career options and talk to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of what a career in mathematics entails. Taking math courses and participating in math-related activities can also help you determine if it is the right path for you.