Is research still being done in Classical Mechanics? (and another question)

In summary, Classical Mechanics is considered to be the most comprehensive sub-field of Physics. It is recommended to review the material learned in Classical Mechanics I, especially the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms, Hamilton-Jacobi theory, the variational principle and Euler-Lagrange equations, Euler angles and angular momentum representation. These concepts are essential for future physics courses and are also commonly used in various fields such as fluid flow, solid body mechanics, thermodynamics, and engineering. With the advancements in technology, classical physics continues to be relevant and offers opportunities for research in areas such as non-linear and chaotic systems.
Wishingwell
^ topic

It just seems Classical Mechanics seems to be the most "complete" sub-field of Physics but I was just wondering.

Also, I have just finished taking my Classical Mechanics I class at my university (and I want to give a thank you to the forum again for helping me) and to be honest I've forgotten a lot of what I learned in the class. Do you think it would be wise to try and review as much of the material as possible? Note I'm a physics major and I just wanted to see if I'll be extensively be using classical mechanics in future physics classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wishingwell said:
Do you think it would be wise to try and review as much of the material as possible?

Yes

Note I'm a physics major and I just wanted to see if I'll be extensively be using classical mechanics in future physics classes.

At the very least you will need the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms, Hamilton-Jacobi theory, the variational principle and Euler-Lagrange equations, Euler angles and angular momentum representation.

Wishingwell said:
^ topic
<snip>

Yes.
Off the top of my head: in fluid flow (turbulence, wetting, microfluidic devices), solid body mechanics (shocks, fractures), constitutive relations, thermodynamics... lots of different topics.

Andy Resnick said:
Yes.
Off the top of my head: in fluid flow (turbulence, wetting, microfluidic devices), solid body mechanics (shocks, fractures), constitutive relations, thermodynamics... lots of different topics.
Most definitely. Essentially all engineering is applied classical physics.

Aeronautics and transportation, structural mechanics, chemical engineering, . . . all use computational physics based on 'classical physics'. There's a lot of work in multiphysics these days.

Yeah, you'll definitely need the ideas learned in classical mechanics in later courses. :) As for the research question...lots of exciting stuff still being done in classical physics. Computers have allowed us to explore some really interesting phenomena that were off limits a century ago...non linear and chaotic systems are the first thing that spring to my mind.

1. Is Classical Mechanics still relevant in modern scientific research?

Yes, Classical Mechanics is still very relevant in modern scientific research. While it may not be the most cutting-edge field, it is still essential for understanding the laws of motion and how objects behave in the world around us.

2. What are some recent advancements in Classical Mechanics?

Some recent advancements in Classical Mechanics include the development of new theories and models to better explain and predict the behavior of complex systems, as well as advancements in experimental techniques that allow for more accurate measurements and observations.

3. How does Classical Mechanics differ from other branches of physics?

Classical Mechanics differs from other branches of physics in that it deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while other branches such as Quantum Mechanics and Relativity focus on the microscopic and cosmic scales, respectively.

4. Is there still room for further research in Classical Mechanics?

Yes, there is still plenty of room for further research in Classical Mechanics. While the fundamental principles have been well-established, there are still many complex systems and phenomena that require further study and understanding.

5. How does Classical Mechanics impact our daily lives?

Classical Mechanics has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects and systems that we encounter every day. It also forms the basis for many technological advancements, such as transportation and structural engineering.