Quaternions and relative orientation

In summary, quaternions are a mathematical concept used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. They are often used in relative orientation to represent the orientation of a rigid body relative to a reference frame. Compared to traditional Euler angles, quaternions are more stable and efficient, as they do not suffer from gimbal lock or singularities. They also have advantages over rotation matrices, such as requiring less storage space and being more computationally efficient. Quaternions can be converted into other forms of orientation representation, but some information may be lost in the process. They are commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, robotics, aerospace engineering, physics, and mathematics.
Davidoux
Hi ,

I am currently using quaternions in my dynamics simulation library for the orientation of rigid bodies .

The bodies are very simple spacecraft orbiting around Earth and what I need is the relative yaw pitch and roll of one spacecraft against an other one
(let's call them chaser VS target).

At first, I converted the quaternions to euler angles and did the difference, with this solution, I am experiencing variations in one channel (for instance pitch) but I am only applying torques in the roll and yaw channel, I expected not this to happens but maybe I am confusing something in the quaternion theory and their link to euler angles.

Should I instead integrate the equations of relative motion (Hill/CW) and retrieve angles from this one ?

Thanks,

David

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear David,

Thank you for sharing your question with the forum. Quaternions are a powerful tool in dynamics simulation, especially for representing orientations of rigid bodies. However, converting quaternions to Euler angles can sometimes lead to unexpected variations in certain channels, as you have experienced.

One potential solution to this issue is to directly integrate the equations of relative motion (Hill/CW) to retrieve the relative yaw, pitch, and roll angles. This approach may provide more accurate results, as it takes into account the dynamics of the system rather than just the orientation at a single moment in time.

Additionally, it may be helpful to check your quaternion conversion process and ensure that it is being done correctly. There are various methods for converting quaternions to Euler angles, and some may be more accurate than others.

I would also recommend consulting with other experts in the field or conducting further research on the topic to gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between quaternions and Euler angles. This may help you identify any potential errors in your approach and improve the accuracy of your simulations.

Good luck with your research and simulations!

Hello David,

Quaternions are a powerful tool for representing orientation in 3D space, and they have many advantages over Euler angles. However, it is important to understand their limitations and how to properly use them.

In your case, it seems like you are trying to calculate the relative orientation between two spacecraft. Instead of converting quaternions to Euler angles, I would suggest using the quaternion's properties to directly determine the relative orientation. The quaternion multiplication formula allows you to combine the orientations of two objects to get the relative orientation between them.

You can also use the conjugate of a quaternion to get the inverse orientation, which can be useful for calculating the relative orientation between two objects. By using these properties, you can avoid any issues with Euler angles and their singularities.

Additionally, integrating the equations of relative motion (Hill/CW) can also give you accurate results. However, this approach may be more computationally intensive compared to using quaternions.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your simulation!

1. What are quaternions and how are they used in relative orientation?

Quaternions are a mathematical concept used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. They consist of four components (a, b, c, d) and are often written in the form a + bi + cj + dk. In relative orientation, quaternions are used to represent the orientation of a rigid body relative to a reference frame.

2. How do quaternions differ from traditional Euler angles in representing orientation?

Unlike Euler angles, quaternions do not suffer from the problem of gimbal lock, which can occur when two rotation axes align. This makes quaternions a more stable and efficient way to represent orientation. Additionally, quaternions are not subject to the problem of singularities, which can occur with certain orientations in Euler angles.

3. What is the advantage of using quaternions over rotation matrices?

While rotation matrices are also commonly used to represent orientation, quaternions have several advantages. They require less storage space, are more computationally efficient, and can easily be interpolated for smooth animations. Additionally, quaternions do not suffer from the problem of numerical drift, which can occur with rotation matrices over multiple rotations.

4. How are quaternions converted into other forms of orientation representation?

Quaternions can be converted into other forms of orientation representation, such as rotation matrices or Euler angles. This can be done using mathematical formulas or libraries that are commonly used in computer graphics and robotics. However, it is important to note that some information may be lost in the conversion process, so it is generally recommended to work with quaternions directly for accurate and stable orientation representation.

5. In what fields of science are quaternions and relative orientation commonly used?

Quaternions and relative orientation are commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, robotics, and aerospace engineering. They are also used in physics and mathematics for their elegant and efficient representation of rotations in three-dimensional space.