Calculate Max & Min Speed for Car Banking an Angle

• Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Car
In summary, a curve of radius 45 m is banked for a design speed of 90 km/hr. If the coefficient of static friction is .3, the maximum safe speed for the car to go around the curve is 29.23 m/s or 105.25 km/hr. The minimum speed is 18.6 m/s or 66.96 km/hr. The correct equations for solving this problem are Fn(sinθ) + Ff(cosθ) = (m)(v^2)/r and Fn(cosθ) = mg + Ff(sinθ).
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A curve of radius 45 m is banked for a design speed of 90 km/hr. If the coefficient of static friction is .3 what is the maximum speed that the car can go around the curve safely. What is the minimum speed?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

θ = tan^-1((25 m/s)^2/(45m * 9.8 m/s^2) = 54.8 degrees

Fn(sinθ) + Ff = (m)(v^2)/r

Fn(cosθ) = mg

Fn= (mg)/(cosθ)

mg(tanθ) + μ(Fn) = (m)(v^2)/r

mg(tanθ) + μ(mg/cosθ) = (m)(v^2)/r

g(tanθ) + μ(g/cosθ) = (v^2)/r

45m((9.8m/s^s(tan(54.8)) + .3(9.8m/s^s/cos(54.8)) = (v^2)

v = 29.23 m/s or 105.25 km/hr.

The key that I'm checking this with says that the above answer is not correct. I haven't tried to find the minimum speed yet because my maximum is incorrect. Could someone please let me know where I'm making a mistake or if I'm going about this the wrong way? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a freebody diagram. The forces acting on the car on the inclined road at a point are the force of friction inward, the normal reaction and the weight. The sum of the horizontal component of these is equal to the centripetal force.

I’m quite sure that you have done just these, but if you plug in numbers right at the beginning, it makes things look messy and hard to check. Use symbols.

I tried this problem again without putting numbers in at the beginning.

(m)(v^2)/r = Fn(sinθ) + Ff

(m)(v^2)/r = mg(tanθ) + Ff

(m)(v^2)/r = (m)(v1^2)/r + Ff

(m)(v^2)/r = (m)(v1^2)/r + μ(m)(v1^2)/(r(sinθ))

v^2 = (v1^2) + μ(v1^2)/(sinθ)

v^2 = (25 m/s)^2 + 0.3(25 m/s)^2/(sin(54.8))

v = 29.23 m/s or 105.23 km

No matter how I go about this I always get the same answer. Could someone point out what I'm doing wrong or at least steer me in the right direction? Thanks.

My freebody diagram looks like that. But aren't the two angles equal? (alpha and beta)

jgens said:
My freebody diagram looks like that. But aren't the two angles equal? (alpha and beta)
I get 36.286 m/s. What is the actual answer?

My final equation was ...

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{-Rg(\mu_s\cos \beta+\sin \alpha)}{\mu_s\sin \beta-\cos \alpha}}}[/tex]

And yes, alpha and beta are the same b/c I used trig identities and I think you did too ...

Last edited:
That is the correct answer. I found out how you got that formula and I've also solved for the lowest speed which is about 18.6 m/s or 66.96 km/hr. Thank you for all of your help.

Alternatively, if you would have chosen your reference axis differently, the only force with an angle would have been gravity.

Cyclovenom said:
Alternatively, if you would have chosen your reference axis differently, the only force with an angle would have been gravity.
You forgot about the acceleration towards the center.

jgens said:

Homework Statement

Fn(sinθ) + Ff = (m)(v^2)/r

Fn(cosθ) = mg

Thanks.

both these equations are wrong they should read

Fn(sinθ) + Ff(cosθ) = (m)(v^2)/r

and

Fn(cosθ) = mg + Ff(sinθ)

1. What is car banking and how does it affect speed?

Car banking is the angle at which a road or track is tilted to allow vehicles to turn more easily. When a car is on a banked surface, the force of gravity pulls it towards the center of the turn, resulting in a higher maximum speed. This is because the car's tires have a greater grip on the road and can handle higher speeds without sliding.

2. How do you calculate the maximum speed for a car on a banked angle?

The maximum speed for a car on a banked angle can be calculated using the formula: Vmax = √(rgtanθ), where Vmax is the maximum speed, r is the radius of the turn, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the banked angle in radians. This formula takes into account the force of gravity and the tilt of the road to determine the car's maximum speed without sliding off the track.

3. Is there a minimum speed for a car on a banked angle?

Yes, there is a minimum speed for a car on a banked angle. This is known as the critical speed and is calculated using the formula: Vcrit = √(rgtanθ), where Vcrit is the critical speed. This speed is necessary to maintain the car's position on the banked surface without sliding down the track. If the car goes below this speed, it will slide down the track.

4. What are some factors that can affect the maximum speed on a banked angle?

The maximum speed on a banked angle can be affected by several factors, including the banked angle itself, the radius of the turn, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface, and the weight and aerodynamics of the car. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and surface conditions can also play a role in determining the maximum speed.

5. How do real-life scenarios differ from the maximum speed calculated for a car on a banked angle?

In real-life scenarios, the maximum speed for a car on a banked angle may differ from the calculated value due to various factors such as driver skill, car performance, and external conditions. Additionally, the calculated maximum speed assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account any unexpected events or errors. Therefore, it is important for drivers to always exercise caution and adjust their speed accordingly when driving on a banked angle.