What does mixing under RG flow mean?

In summary: Basically, yes. We imagine a coordinate system whose axes correspond to the coupling constants of the theory. Solutions to the beta function equations generally produce a manifold of points that correspond to the allowed configurations of coupling constants. RG flows are trajectories on the RG manifold. These paths are parameterized by the energy scale. The RG flow is analogous to the way a classical system will roll down a potential energy function to seek a stable equilibrium. RG fixed points are like local minima of the potential energy.If we consider correlation functions of composite operators constructed from the fundamental fields of the theory, we can use perturbation theory to compute them. In the loop expansion, we will encounter divergences that must be
Pacopag
what does "mixing under RG flow" mean?

I'm trying to understand the language people use when they talk about RG flow. Here's what I understand:
We have the RG flow equations governing the couplings' dependence on energy scale
[tex]\mu {dg_i \over d\mu}=\beta(g_j)[\tex],
and we can find the "fixed points" by solving
[tex]\beta(g_j)[\tex]=0[\tex].
We can linearize to find "stable" and "unstable" trajectories in coupling space, emerging from these fixed points.

What I'm not so sure of is what "RG flow" means. I'm guessing that if we move away from the fixed point, then vary the energy scale, we will move along whatever trajectory we are sitting on. Is this what RG flow means?

My real question is this: What does it mean for two operators to "mix under RG flow"?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Pacopag said:
What I'm not so sure of is what "RG flow" means. I'm guessing that if we move away from the fixed point, then vary the energy scale, we will move along whatever trajectory we are sitting on. Is this what RG flow means?

Basically, yes. We imagine a coordinate system whose axes correspond to the coupling constants of the theory. Solutions to the beta function equations generally produce a manifold of points that correspond to the allowed configurations of coupling constants. RG flows are trajectories on the RG manifold. These paths are parameterized by the energy scale. The RG flow is analogous to the way a classical system will roll down a potential energy function to seek a stable equilibrium. RG fixed points are like local minima of the potential energy.

My real question is this: What does it mean for two operators to "mix under RG flow"?
Thanks for any help.

If we consider correlation functions of composite operators constructed from the fundamental fields of the theory, we can use perturbation theory to compute them. In the loop expansion, we will encounter divergences that must be removed through a renormalization scheme. This will involve adding counterterms to cancel the divergences. These counterterms involve the correlation functions of operators of the same or lower scaling dimension as the operator we started with. For instance, if we have a scalar field theory, we might be considering the correlator

[tex] \langle 0 | \phi(x) \phi(y) \phi^3(z) |0\rangle.[/tex]

Counterterms that could appear in the renormalization are expressions like

[tex] \langle 0 | \phi(x) \phi(y) ( m \phi^2(z)) |0\rangle[/tex]

or

[tex]\langle 0 | \phi(x) \phi(y) ( \Box \phi(z)) |0\rangle .[/tex]

One concludes that the renormalized correlation function is computed with the renormalized operator

[tex] [ \phi^3 ] = Z_0 \phi^3 + Z_1 m \phi^2 + Z_2 \Box \phi + \cdots.[/tex]

This is what we mean by operator mixing under the RG group. In general, only operators with the same symmetries can mix.

Last edited:

Wow! That's an excellent answer. I wish I could buy you a beer for that one. Thanks very much.

Last edited:

What is RG flow?

RG flow stands for renormalization group flow, which is a concept in theoretical physics and statistical mechanics. It describes how a system changes as we zoom in or out on it, examining it at different scales.

What does mixing refer to in RG flow?

Mixing in RG flow refers to the process of different physical quantities becoming more or less correlated as we zoom in or out on the system. It is a measure of how well the system can be described by a small number of variables at different scales.

How does mixing change under RG flow?

Mixing can either increase or decrease under RG flow, depending on the system and the variables being examined. In general, as we zoom in on a system, the mixing decreases, meaning that the system becomes more well-defined and can be described by fewer variables.

What is the significance of mixing under RG flow?

The level of mixing under RG flow is a key factor in determining the behavior and properties of a system. For example, a system with high mixing may exhibit chaotic or unpredictable behavior, while a system with low mixing may have more stable and predictable behavior.

How is mixing under RG flow calculated?

The level of mixing is typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as correlation functions or entropy measures. These calculations allow scientists to quantify how well a system can be described by a certain number of variables at different scales, and how this changes under RG flow.